cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnAdams
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Test satellite server: Self-register or register to production?

Hi, folks,

I've been thinking about this, and I'm inclined to self-register test. Do other folks do it differently?

Thanks,

John A

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BernieH
Cadet
Cadet

Hi, JohnAdams. This is my first time here in the discussion section, and I noticed your quesiton from ~4 months ago. I don't know if you've already found your answer, but I know with Satellite 6.3 Red Hat stopped supporting self-registered satellites. Please see  Is it supported to use "Self-Registered" Red Hat Satellite 6.3 ?

0 Kudos
bschonec
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Don't do it.  When it comes time to upgrade the Satellite product you'll want to have Satellite registered externally to Red Hat.  Self-registered and disconnected Satellite servers are a pain to upgrade.

0 Kudos
M-Sawyer
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Like others have stated, a self-registered satellite is defintely not recommended.  While functionally it can still work it does come with a great deal of issues.

If for some reason you do not want to (or cannot) connect directly to the Red Hat Content Delivery Network, you should take a look at the disconnected setup and the associated problems with it.  There's a pretty detailed Disconnected Satellite Webinar available for a few more months.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.