Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trevor
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

YAML or Ansible?

Hello all,

I was reading a document, and it contained the following sentence:  "YAML uses SSH protocol to communicate with remote servers."

Now this may be a little trivial, but because this doesn't seem accurate to me, and I'm a "stickler" for accuracy, I'm compelled to get input from the Ansible vanguard.  With my being in the developmental stages of my Ansible education, I'm not yet qualified to definitively challenge the statement.

I would think it would be more accurate for the sentence to read "Anisble uses SSH ..."

Anyway, I look forward to your comment(s).  Thank you in advance.  Hope everyone is safe, well, and warm!

Trevor "Red Hat Evangelist" Chandler
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
matteoclc
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hello Trevor,
you are totally right: YAML is the language used to write Ansible playbooks.
An even more accurate sentence would be
"Ansible uses SSH protocol to communicate with remote Linux servers."
That's because we use other methods to reach windows servers (see WinRM)

Good luck with your Ansible journey

Ciao
--
Matteo Calcagnini
Trevor
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Thanks again Ciao.  Time for me to trash this resource that I'm reading about Ansible.  

Thanks for the well wishes on my Ansible journey.  You haven't heard the last of me.

Hope you're safe and well!

0 Kudos
matteoclc
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

You're welcome Trevor, and my name is Matteo, I know I put "Ciao" at the end of the post but it's only the Italian way to greet

Ciao!

Matteo
--
Matteo Calcagnini
Trevor
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Whoops!  Don't I feel like the village idiot now. My most humble apologies Matteo.  

I had even thought that Ciao was some sort of emoji, but not being
very acquainted with those, I just made a decision that Ciao was 
your name.  Well, once again, through a mistake, i've advanced my
knowledge.  Through this whole exchange, I've gotten some very
valuable information on Ansible, and I've learned my first word in
the italian language.

Thanks Matteo!

matteoclc
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Ahahah! That's a very positive way of thinking :)

Don't be too strict with that, if one could be flagged idiot only for making a mistake like this, who could be saved in the whole world?

bye!

--
Matteo Calcagnini
flozano

I would not say that YAML is a "language used to write Ansible playbook". YAML is just a structured textual data format, nothing else. It has no kewwords, no control statements, no implied meaning. It is not like HTML. If you use YAML for Kubernetes resources you get something entirely different from Ansible playbooks.

So it is Ansible, Kubernetes, whatever consumes YAML files that gives them meaning.

I can see how people who know YAML only from Ansible might consider YAML as a "language"

0 Kudos
matteoclc
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Quoting the official YAML documentation

This document reflects the third version of YAML data serialization language.

https://yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html 

I did not spoke about programming language or anything related, so i don't think it's a big mistake referring to YAML as a (data serialization) "language"

--
Matteo Calcagnini
flozano

Yeah I'm too used to assume that "language" implies "programming". "data serialization language" is fine and correct.

flozano

Trevor and Matteo, I hope you are not quoting any of Red Hat training materials nor product documentation. ;-)

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.