Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TM
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

copy ane paste availability during EX294 exam

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have just written the EX200 exam, and now I am preparing for the EX294.

My concern is simple and stated below.

Is there a possibility to copy selected (or interested with) text from the exam questions and instrucitons web interface to console (mostly CLI) of the virtual machine we are working on during the exam ?

Any aneser, tip or direction are welcome.

Regards,

Tshimanga

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

If you are connected to the system via SSH, sure. You can do that in different ways:

- Select the text (it is automatically copied into the clipboard). Paste by clicking in the middle button of your mouse.

- Select the text with your mouse, copy it to clipboard with "Control+Shift+C" ; paste into the destination window with "Control+Shift-V". 

- Select the text in your browser/terminal, right-click on the text, select "Copy" ; then go to your SSH terminal, right click and select "Paste".

This are methods that should work on most/all tools in the exam environment, probably with the exception of Virtual machine consoles. If you are logged into a VM console there is no integration with the cut&paste feature (this is not a limitation of the exam environment; but rather how consoles work).

Cheers

Fran

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

If you are connected to the system via SSH, sure. You can do that in different ways:

- Select the text (it is automatically copied into the clipboard). Paste by clicking in the middle button of your mouse.

- Select the text with your mouse, copy it to clipboard with "Control+Shift+C" ; paste into the destination window with "Control+Shift-V". 

- Select the text in your browser/terminal, right-click on the text, select "Copy" ; then go to your SSH terminal, right click and select "Paste".

This are methods that should work on most/all tools in the exam environment, probably with the exception of Virtual machine consoles. If you are logged into a VM console there is no integration with the cut&paste feature (this is not a limitation of the exam environment; but rather how consoles work).

Cheers

Fran

SubuRama
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

The only option in this exam environment seems to be "Open console". And even if you were to open a console and then ssh, the copy&paste functions do not seem to be active. @Fran_Garcia Is there some other method of accessing the terminal (this is a KVM hypervisor environment, I think) for copy and paste to be active?

Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

I haven't taken this particular exam, but I'm super surprised you cannot SSH into machines, so copy and paste work in a reasonable manner.

In any case, if you are stuck with just a VM console, you can enable the GPM service (systemctl enable --now gpm) and that'll enable the mouse _within_ the VM . At least then you have a mouse clipboard service within the VM and you can copy/paste inside it. 

But again, I'm super surprised SSH is not available.

cyb3rx
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

copy/paste works really well if you do it through ssh session, I did it in my exam and it was quite handy to paste URLs and filenames it saves time n typos 

SubuRama
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

First, there is no direct ssh. Even if you were to ssh from another node, there is no X forwarding.

You can copy from the browser and "send" the keystrokes to the terminal but it is very cumbersome but at least works to avoid typos in URLs for example.

However, I don't see the point of disabling the basic capability of cut&paste from within a window. From the KVM menu, the only options are to rebuild the VMs, hard/soft reboot and open console. This is very different from the classroom environment in which these courses are taught

I will try the gpm method next time! Thank you @Fran_Garcia @cyb3rx 

Was this your experience too @TM (the OP)? Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.