cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career Change to IT

Jump to solution

Dear folks,

I was a system administrator for 10 years, from 2009 to 2019. I have my RHCE certification and a deep understanding of Linux systems. I'm also familiar with a variety of other technologies, including networking, security, and cloud computing.

I left the IT industry in 2019 to pursue a career in HR, but I've decided that I want to get back into IT. I'm passionate about technology and I enjoy working with complex systems. I'm also a quick learner and I'm always up for a challenge.

I'm wondering what the job market is like for system admins these days. Are there still a lot of openings? And what are some of the challenges I might face in making this career change?

I'm also curious about the latest trends in system administration. What are some of the technologies that system admins are using today? And how is the role of the system admin changing?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @prasanna633 !

Thanks for reaching out and Congratulations on your decision to get back into IT!

Though I am not a career counsellor but having been in this field for more than 10 years ( System /Infrastructure administration ) - I can tell you that - yes there are multiple openings for a system administration available ( for a RIGHT candidate - I mean skillwise :).

The IT industry  ( especially the sys admin role ) has changed a lot in the past few years. Cloud computing, Automation, and Containerisation are all having a major impact on the way systems are administered these days, so you might have to brush up on those skills. 

Some of the stuffs you can find on Red Hat Learning subscription ( which are standards in skill training ) :

• Cloud : Openstack ( course CL210 )
  • Configuration Management : Ansible ( RH294, RH358, DO467 , DO374 )
  • Container Orchestration: Openshift ( DO180, DO188, DO280, DO288 )
  • Linux sysadmin : RHCSA & RHCE ( RH124, RH134, RH199, RH342 )

Having certifications earned after passing Red Hat exams are beneficial in interview and selection process because of the confidence and skill that you earn during these certifications. 

You can enrol and start learning any of these courses/ skills/ topics/ technologies based on your choice. If you need any help in selecting any courses or enrolment , feel free to reach out to training@redhat.com

Apart from these : other crucial things are -

• Networking ( meet-ups, conferences , webinar , social media etc )
  • Soft Skills
  • Hands-On Learning

All the best !

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @prasanna633 !

Thanks for reaching out and Congratulations on your decision to get back into IT!

Though I am not a career counsellor but having been in this field for more than 10 years ( System /Infrastructure administration ) - I can tell you that - yes there are multiple openings for a system administration available ( for a RIGHT candidate - I mean skillwise :).

The IT industry  ( especially the sys admin role ) has changed a lot in the past few years. Cloud computing, Automation, and Containerisation are all having a major impact on the way systems are administered these days, so you might have to brush up on those skills. 

Some of the stuffs you can find on Red Hat Learning subscription ( which are standards in skill training ) :

• Cloud : Openstack ( course CL210 )
  • Configuration Management : Ansible ( RH294, RH358, DO467 , DO374 )
  • Container Orchestration: Openshift ( DO180, DO188, DO280, DO288 )
  • Linux sysadmin : RHCSA & RHCE ( RH124, RH134, RH199, RH342 )

Having certifications earned after passing Red Hat exams are beneficial in interview and selection process because of the confidence and skill that you earn during these certifications. 

You can enrol and start learning any of these courses/ skills/ topics/ technologies based on your choice. If you need any help in selecting any courses or enrolment , feel free to reach out to training@redhat.com

Apart from these : other crucial things are -

• Networking ( meet-ups, conferences , webinar , social media etc )
  • Soft Skills
  • Hands-On Learning

All the best !

Dear Mr. Chetan,

Thank you very much for your response to our discussion. Your guidance in navigating my career change journey is greatly valued.

I will diligently follow your insights and invest additional effort to attain my goal.

As I embark on the aforementioned training, I anticipate having numerous queries, and I would greatly appreciate your assistance, just as you have provided it now.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Regards
Chetan_Tiwary_
Sure @prasanna633 ! Let us know and we will surely assist you.
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.