cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhbofa
Cadet
Cadet

Can both 'podman build' and 's2i create' be used to create builder image?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can both 'podman build' and 's2i create' be used to create builder image? Please help understanding the difference.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi

`s2i create` does not create any image, but just prepares a skeleton of script files. After updating those scripts, you use `s2i build` to package those files in the container image.

`podman build` creates the container image directly, based on a containerfile/dockerfile. But this is a free-form container image description file, so anything can be done with podman.

So, the main difference is that  `s2i create`+`s2i build` creates a builder image including some s2i scripts and files, from an opinionated structure, while `podman build` creates any kind of image (builder or not) based on the instructions in the containerfile.

Summarizing, you can create any kind of image with podman, but I recommend you using `s2i` if you are creating a builder image.

Hope that helps.

Jordi Sola

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi

`s2i create` does not create any image, but just prepares a skeleton of script files. After updating those scripts, you use `s2i build` to package those files in the container image.

`podman build` creates the container image directly, based on a containerfile/dockerfile. But this is a free-form container image description file, so anything can be done with podman.

So, the main difference is that  `s2i create`+`s2i build` creates a builder image including some s2i scripts and files, from an opinionated structure, while `podman build` creates any kind of image (builder or not) based on the instructions in the containerfile.

Summarizing, you can create any kind of image with podman, but I recommend you using `s2i` if you are creating a builder image.

Hope that helps.

Jordi Sola

0 Kudos
rhbofa
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks for the nice explanation. It greatly helped me. 

Regards. 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.