Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricardo
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

OCP OCS with VMware supported?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if RH officially supports OCS with VMware storage backend? It works, it's documented in the community and in the reference architecture, but I couldn'f find any reference in the official documentation. 

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oldbenko

@oldbenko wrote:

Yeah, there is a provisioner, but it's not a CSI-compliant provisioner. It's just your good old-fashioned storage class provisioner. It works though, and it has, since OCP 3.6.

...by which I mean it is supported. The fact it is listed in the Tested Integrations page is quite definite proof of support.

Cheers,
Grega

A black cat crossing the street signifies that the animal is going somewhere.
[don't forget to kudo a helpful post or mark it as a solution!]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
beelandc
Flight Engineer

Can you elaborate a bit?

Are you asking if OpenShift Container Storage  (also known as OCS, which is essentially a hyperconverged configuration of Gluster) can be installed with OpenShift, running on top of VMWare?

Or if you can use VMWare storage integrations to provide PV storage for a cluster? Like: https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/3.11/install_config/persistent_storage/persistent_stor...

0 Kudos
oldbenko

Hey, @beelandc,

I think what Ricardo means is one of the OCI standards, the one related to storage interface called CSI, which has been promoted to GA in K8S 1.13.

Using CSI, it is possible to provision, and attach, storage in a standardised way across different providers (in this case, vSphere volumes).

Cheers,
Grega

Ricardo
Flight Engineer

I want to know if Red Hat supports StorageClass (dynamic provision of Persistent Volumes) with VMware storage (not glusterfs). Which is described in the documentation and the implementation works. 

0 Kudos
oldbenko

Hey, @Ricardo

As far as I can see, yes:

I don't think this is CSI though. There is no CSI provisioner for vSphere as far as I know.

Cheers,
Grega

0 Kudos
Ricardo
Flight Engineer

Hi @oldbenko 

According to docs.openshift.com, there is a provisioner, and that's why I'm asking if it is supported officially by Red Hat, when used in production. 

cheers

0 Kudos
oldbenko

Yeah, there is a provisioner, but it's not a CSI-compliant provisioner. It's just your good old-fashioned storage class provisioner. It works though, and it has, since OCP 3.6.

0 Kudos
oldbenko

@oldbenko wrote:

...by which I mean it is supported. The fact it is listed in the Tested Integrations page is quite definite proof of support.

Cheers,
Grega

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.