cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riemann
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

do188: can I copy text from terminal in workstation to my laptop?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can I copy text from terminal in workstation to my laptop?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Travis

@riemann -

So copying from the workstation console to the local laptop isn't possible from the VNC console. While the VNC console allows you to paste information from your local machine to the VNC machine, the opposite direction is not supported. You have two (2) options to get information ...

Option 1:

If the lab environment you are using has the Classroom Web App you can use it for the workstation console. This avoids VNC and gives you the terminal locally in your browser window. Copy and paste works very well like this.

Option 2:

Use something like Pastebin, Github, or something else. This requires that the Workstation VM has Internet access and you are essentially transferring text between the lab environment and another cloud enabled service.

Travis Michette, RHCA XIII
https://rhtapps.redhat.com/verify?certId=111-134-086
SENIOR TECHNICAL INSTRUCTOR / CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR AND EXAMINER
Red Hat Certification + Training

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @riemann , No I am afraid you cannot to your local laptop.

You can check if certain lab environment has internet connectivity - then you can do that in a browser in the VM console. 

Wasim_Raja

+1

Chetan_Tiwary_

Pleasure !

0 Kudos
Travis

@riemann -

So copying from the workstation console to the local laptop isn't possible from the VNC console. While the VNC console allows you to paste information from your local machine to the VNC machine, the opposite direction is not supported. You have two (2) options to get information ...

Option 1:

If the lab environment you are using has the Classroom Web App you can use it for the workstation console. This avoids VNC and gives you the terminal locally in your browser window. Copy and paste works very well like this.

Option 2:

Use something like Pastebin, Github, or something else. This requires that the Workstation VM has Internet access and you are essentially transferring text between the lab environment and another cloud enabled service.

Travis Michette, RHCA XIII
https://rhtapps.redhat.com/verify?certId=111-134-086
SENIOR TECHNICAL INSTRUCTOR / CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR AND EXAMINER
Red Hat Certification + Training
Chetan_Tiwary_

ok yes ,I totally forgot about the classroom web app. 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.