Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage (CL260)
Reliable and performant data storage is a critical component for enterprise application and infrastructure solutions. Software-defined storage offers organizations the flexibility to grow their data storage requirements while enabling applications to operate at cloud-scale. Red Hat Ceph Storage leverages commodity hardware to create distributed and scalable storage volumes that are both fault-tolerant and provide access via object, block, and file data levels. Successful planning, deployment and operation of a storage cluster can be achieved through completion of Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage course.
Red Hat Training & Certification is pleased to announce the release of Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage (CL260) for Red Hat Ceph Storage 4.2. Red Hat Ceph Storage can reduce costs by providing object, block and file storage formats in a single, cloud-scalable platform which easily integrates with legacy, virtualized, and containerized applications in enterprise and hybrid cloud environments. This new course, a complete rewrite of the popular CEPH125 Ceph 3 Storage Administration course, teaches storage administrators and cloud operators the skills needed to deploy and manage a Red Hat Ceph Storage cluster in a production data center environment or as a component of a Red Hat OpenStack Platform infrastructure. Storage administrators will be able to create, manage, and troubleshoot storage resources, devices, services, and gateways for dynamically scalable business environments.
This course is recommended training in the Red Hat OpenStack Platform Administration Curriculum track for managing storage in a private enterprise cloud. Customer organizations will find Red Hat Ceph Storage 4.2 to be significantly easier to install and manage while handling more diverse types of cloud and legacy workload storage requirements. Red Hat Ceph Storage 4.2 enhancements address evolving customer requirements for enterprise cloud storage:
- Enhancements in Object Storage Devices (OSDs), to use the latest BlueStore back end to store objects directly on the block devices without an intermediary file system interface, greatly improving the performance of Ceph storage clusters.
- Major redesign of the storage device technology for preparing, activating, and starting OSDs, to allow the use of any LVM volume-compatible structure and eliminate the GPT partitioning dependency.
- Certified FIPS support for Red Hat Ceph Storage installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux where the FIPS mode is enabled.
- Standardization on a common set of ceph-ansible playbooks for all installation methods, using the popular Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform.
- Significant enhancements in the Red Hat Ceph Storage Dashboard providing feature and performance improvements in resource visibility, monitoring, security and pool management.
Sales Quick Facts
Quick Fact Table
CL260 is a comprehensive rewrite of CEPH125. The NPS for CEPH125 in Q3CY20 was 78.75
4 days ILT
5 days VT
Red Hat Ceph Storage 4.2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3
Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform 1.1 (Red Hat Ansible Engine 2.9)
Skills Assessment are being updated to reflect this course version.
This course will be available for internal associates through Red Hat University.
Steven Acheson, Storage Administrator
Steven Acheson is a seasoned system administrator who is experienced working with legacy and distributed enterprise storage solutions. His company has transitioned to cloud-based applications and development. Steve needs to know not only how to maintain storage structures, but how to scale storage services, gateways with highest security, resiliency and performance to cloud scale.
To become a senior Red hat Ceph Storage administrator supporting a multi-site storage platform.
Ceph Storage Administrator (sample)
Red Hat Senior Storage Administrator (sample)
Steven Acheson will deploy Red Hat Ceph Storage, with RADOS Object Gateways, CephFS File Sharing, and RADOS Block Devices for virtual and containerized workloads, including OSD migration from FileStore to BlueStore, and from ceph-disk to ceph-volume, with ongoing performance tuning, feature selection, monitoring, and troubleshooting,
Sales Transition Plan
Comparing the previous CEPH125 Red Hat Ceph Storage Architecture and Administration (Ceph 3.0) with the new CL260 Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage (Ceph 4.2):
The Red Hat Ceph Storage product has a significant ongoing customer presence in both Ceph 3 and Ceph 4.
The CEPH125 course is still the course of choice for some Ceph 3 customers. It is accurate and relevant for customers requesting specific Ceph 3 training. If customers are still using ceph-disk and FileStore, then they need the CEPH125 course and the EX125 exam. However, Red Hat recommends that Red Hat Ceph Storage customers convert their OSDs from ceph-disk and FileStore to ceph-volume and BlueStore to maintain support. For this reason, it is expected that demand for CEPH125 will drop quickly, resulting in the removal of CEPH125 from the catalog at a later date.
All Ceph 4 customers should choose the CL260 course and EX260 exam. Ceph 4 customers use only ceph-volume and BlueStore technologies, because ceph-disk and FileStore are deprecated and no longer included in Ceph 4. Ceph 3 customers who have migrated their OSDs to ceph-volume and BlueStore, or are moving to Ceph 4 soon, should also choose the CL260 course and EX260 exam.
Suggest CEPH125 to learn ceph-disk and FileStore, which is only relevant for a shrinking subset of Ceph 3 customers.
Suggest CL260 to any Ceph 3 or and all Ceph 4 customers to learn ceph-volume, BlueStore, and Ceph 4 new features.
Delivery Quick Facts
Quick Fact Table
CL260 for Red Hat Ceph Storage 4.2 is a Tier 1 (new material) course.
To teach this course, instructors must meet the following requirements:
- New instructors and those with less than 5 successful teaching events of the CEPH125 Red Hat Ceph Storage Architecture and Administration (Ceph 3) course must sit the course or the pilot to be qualified to teach.
Participating in a Live Early Access feedback (LEAF) session is not sufficient for the attendance requirement.
- Senior instructors who have successfully taught the previous CEPH125 course 5 or more times can prep in one week. Prep time must include performing all exercises and gaining comprehension on all new material.
- All instructors must possess a valid and unexpired RHCE (RHEL) certification.
- All instructors must possess a valid Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ceph Cloud Storage certification by passing the EX260 Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ceph Cloud Storage examination.
NOTE: The previous EX125 Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ceph Storage Administration (Ceph 3) exam and certification is not sufficient for teaching the CL260 Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage (Ceph 4) course.
Instructors must thoroughly review the new materials and all lab exercises, which include these major topics:
- new containerized installation method
- complete redesign of cluster configuration method
- BlueStore OSD structure and device mapping
- ceph-volume OSD preparation
- ceph-ansible installation toolset
- multisite object gateways
- significant product enhancements and new features
- enhanced dashboard
- completely new OpenStack integration chapter
Alfresco Course Repository location
Classroom Setup Materials
Classroom setup materials are available on Instructor Central, and are based on the Unified Classroom Foundation.
Delivery Modes & Availability
The Cloud Storage with Red Hat Ceph Storage (CL260) for RHCS 4.2 course is available in all modalities.
Level IV hardware for ILT delivery
- Intel Core i7 or i9 or Xeon equivalent, 10th Generation or better
AMD equivalent, Ryzen 7 or better
- 32GB RAM
- 250GB on a single SSD (SSD required) or larger
- wired Gigabit Ethernet
- graphics 1600x900 minimum, 1920x1080 (Full HD) recommended
- USB3 boot support
See Training Hardware Requirements for details.
We have begun translating this course for following languages based on regional priorities: