MikeInAZ
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

What is the purpose of Chap 5.9, #9.5?

Remove the config-map-pvc volume from the file-sharing deployment.

[student@workstation ~]$ oc set volume deployment/file-sharing \
  --remove --name=config-map-pvc deployment.apps/file-sharing volume updated

What is the purpose behind removing the config-map-pvc from the file-sharing deployment other than just to do it?  It is in relation to #10 (adding the shared-volume PVC to the dbserver deployment) or simply a completely independant skill question?

5 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @MikeInAZ I will try to explain my understanding of it :

refer the lab objective first :

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1726610318065.png

so, in step 8 -  we mounted the dbfiles configuration map to the file-sharing deployment as a volume named config-map-pvc and got the insertdata.sql file in the /home/database-files/  path.

Now in step 9 ; when we have to add a shared PVC named shared-pvc to both the file-sharing and dbserver deployments as per the objective ( and to share the insertdata.sql file ) we first created the persistent volume in the file-sharing  deployment and then copied the  /home/database-files/insertdata.sql file which (we got in step to the /home/sharedfiles path.

and then finally in step 10 we have to add the shared-volume PVC to the dbserver deployment completing the objective.

So, the older volume config-map-pvc is not required after it's purpose is served. I think it is logical to remove it as far as this lab's objective is concerned.

MikeInAZ
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thanks, it would make more sense to remove the shared volume from the app server in #9, then present it to the dbserver in #10 to show how the data on the volume persists

Chetan_Tiwary_
Community Manager
Community Manager

ok @MikeInAZ  anyways thanks for your feedback!

MikeInAZ
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

another thing i just noticed on the 5.9 lab is the #10 is displayed at ".0." and #11 is ".1."

Chetan_Tiwary_
Community Manager
Community Manager

oh yes ! Thanks @MikeInAZ !

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.