Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proxi73
Cadet
Cadet

Audio problem - Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9

Hello,
I have the EX280 next week and I was trying to see if everything looks alright in the testing environment.

Unfortunately, I keep getting the same error in audio testing. Using the Setting panel I cannot configure the audio output, I have only an option: "Dummy Audio".

Do you have any insight for me to solve the problem?

Thanks

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

No workarround really - just test with some other (older) laptop and see if it works better for you. Note to reschedule your exam at least 24h before start time in case you don't find a compatible laptop by then.

In another thread there was a mention that new Exam ISOs based in a newer operating system would be available in the next few days, but no definite date so far.

Hope this helps,

Fran

ipalagin
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

My HP laptop isn't compatible with any exam multimedia either.

For audio output, I have the cheapest USB sound adapter (an old TROND) with a computer speaker plugged in.  It takes a USB port, but I use a USB hub anyway.  It works just fine: all you need to hear is "dong".

Keerthy

Hello @proxi73 

I suggest the following steps:

1. Speakers are not mandatory for Remote Exam. However you need to make sure the Microphone Test is passed successfully. The proctor should be able to hear you and you will be communicating with proctor via chat hence mic ic necessary and speakers arent. 
  2. Please make sure to connect the external USB webcam before you boot from the Live USB since it has a built-in microphone(mostly) 
  3. After booting from the Live USB, in the settings window, Click on "Sound". Move the input and output volume sliders to the highest.
  4. Click on Input device drop down field and check if external webcam mic or system mic (laptop mic) is selected.   NOTE : You can switch between external webcam mic and system inbuilt mic options one by one to check if it is working.
  5. Observe if the volume indicator goes red when a sound is made. Try to speak loudly if possible. NOTE : You are not able to hear yourself during the test as the speaker isnt detected, if the mic is working then the test will pass successfully and you can take exam.

Tess
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Upvote for @Keerthy 's advice: in my first attempts with the exam environment, I had not visited the sound menu. In that menu you really must tweak and test the volume settings, otherwise it defaults to very-very-very soft, or completely silent. 

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.