cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
littlebigfab
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

How to start Firefox in the NEW classroom webapp (JupyterLab)

Jump to solution

Hello team,

Probably a stupid question: how can we run firefox in the NEW classroom webapp (JupyterLab)?

[student@workstation ~]$ firefox
Running without a11y support!
Error: no DISPLAY environment variable specified

Thanks in advance for the support!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tnishiok
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @littlebigfab,

I like your idea. I would always preffer using lightweight CLI rather than GUI to access Lab, howerver some excersises rely on web browsing. It would be greate if it was possible to launch a browser via JupyterLab. Unfortunatelly I don't think it is supported.

As of today alternative way is to use X11 forwarding via ssh. Although it is possible to transfer brower image to your local screen, its perfamnce is pretty slow but not acceptable as far as I tried it. At the end it's still better to simply open the traditional GUI console to access browser.

Regards,
Toshi

sc.jpg 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tnishiok
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @littlebigfab,

I like your idea. I would always preffer using lightweight CLI rather than GUI to access Lab, howerver some excersises rely on web browsing. It would be greate if it was possible to launch a browser via JupyterLab. Unfortunatelly I don't think it is supported.

As of today alternative way is to use X11 forwarding via ssh. Although it is possible to transfer brower image to your local screen, its perfamnce is pretty slow but not acceptable as far as I tried it. At the end it's still better to simply open the traditional GUI console to access browser.

Regards,
Toshi

sc.jpg 

littlebigfab
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Hi @tnishiok,

Thanks for the suggestion, very hackish, I love it!

Yeah, there are a bunch of labs that require web browsing. I can think of those with Ansible Tower, in particular.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.