Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 314K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,368 Replies
AnaV
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thanks, not the way I wanted, but no option if I want to do the exam.

Cheers,

Ana

Sanju7
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

@AnaV It's not just the wireless keyboard and mouse, none of the wireless devices are allowed while taking the remote exam. This is mainly to avoid possibility of malpractices and security reasons.

Only 1 keyboard is allowed for a remote exam. Hence, if you want to use an external wired keyboard with a laptop, the screen has to be closed, which in turn make you use an external monitor and wired external mouse mandatorily. 

I understand the built in camera would become of no use if you close the laptop lid while using the external wired keyboard and monitor and it is absolutely fine. 1 external wired webcam is mandatory for a remote exam and built in camera would be just be a plus but not a mandatory requirement.

External wired mouse and keyboard with laptop are allowed only if you're using external monitor. You can use external wired mouse with laptop but not external wired keyboard unless you close the laptop lid and use external monitor.

It's good you got new windows laptop. But please make sure you test the hardware well in advance before the exam date and confirm everything is fine.

0 Kudos
AnaV
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @Sanju7, thanks for replyng!

Well, the idea of using the laptop is that it has a camera... I do have a desktop computer with Red Hat (imagine why?), but I do not have an external camera.

Buying an external camera just for to run Red Hat exams it is going a bit extreme, considering that my idea was to go to a training facility instead (preciselly I really wanted to avoid those issues!)

Travelling to Madrid (500 kms from here) is not a practical/cheap option.

Anyway, it will have to be with the mouse and Spanish keyboard of the laptop instead. Not happy, but no choise.

Cheers,

Ana

PetrCihlar

Hi Ana
Many greetings to Spain. Having an external camera is the mandaroty requirement for Red Hat certification exams. The proctors need to have a side view of you.
The good thing is the camera may be very cheap, old, and ordinary one that no gamer wants any more. I am sure they are lying around dusted or can be easily purchased second hand. The ID verification can be done using the internal camera, but having an external camera is a must. 
Regards

Petr Cihlar
AnaV
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Well, I tried to boot from the USB generated from the ISO, and my laptop is not accepting it: Invalid signature detected.

Tried to disable secure boot, I am unable to do it.

Already having a lot of fun!

Sanju7
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @AnaV ,

The error you reported is because of the secure boot being enabled in the BIOS.

The ISO is not a secure boot compliant and hence the candidate should be using a device where the secure boot is disabled.

We do not recommend candidates to make any changes to the BIOS settings as it may impact the regular boot. We suggest to take help of any local technicians if there is any changes required within the BIOS. If candidates wants to do it by themselves, then can try at their own risk.

We have two Important BIOS settings to be checked before trying to boot from the live USB - 

1. Secure boot must be in disabled state

2. Boot mode must be UEFI not Legacy

AnaV
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

So, you don´t recommend to change it, but are asking me to do it, or to have it done.

Well done, Red Hat, very well done.

Is possible to run the exam in an old laptop with just 2 GB RAM?

0 Kudos
PetrCihlar

Hello,
2 GB RAM is not enough. 8GB is officially needed. 6 could work too, but not sure

Petr Cihlar
AnaV
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

It is not going to be done by the time I am supposed to do the exam, but thinking for me and others in the future. How and where can I request for a ISO secure boot compliant? Opening a case with RedHat support?

Thanks.

dddddd
Cadet
Cadet

Hi , I am scheduled for EX316 next Monday and I cannot run the compatibility test. I am using the same Lenovo laptop as I usedIMG_5511.jpgIMG_5512.jpg last year for exam, I have tried with older and newer ISO image on the USB , I even tried with another newer Lenovo. Instead of going into the Compatibility test menu it starts looping into a rotating 3 red dots . Pls see images. Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.