Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Behroz
Cadet
Cadet

Remote Exam Live ISO USB not booting GRUB

Hi,

I have Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro X (AMD-6000) laptop and trying to boot into the Remote Exam ISO via bootable USB but unfortunately I can't boot it directly goes to the GRUB prompt. I even downloaded the new ISO from redhat and even tried the old one as well same results.

Any idea how to fix this issue I am planning to give my EX180 exam in next week.

Regards,

Behroz

Labels (1)
9 Replies
PetrCihlar

Hi Behroz
I am afraid your computer is too new and its support is not included in the Fedora version the Remote exam uses. Try exiting the grub by typing the exit command and hitting enter. 
It helps sometimes and the computer resumes booting. In case you pass the compatibility test, you are ready to go. Otherwise, another computer has to be used, unfortunately.

Petr Cihlar
0 Kudos
AbdulRehman
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi,

I have Dell Precision 7760 and when I try to boot from exam image, it completes with 100% and then gets stuck. Any suggestion except using the other laptop?

Abdul Rehman

0 Kudos
PetrCihlar

Hi.
The computer hangs in the moment it should change the graphic mode. I do not know what your possibilities are. Some laptops have 2 video cards. Perhaps switching to the other one in BIOS would help. 

Petr Cihlar
0 Kudos
PetrCihlar

Hi Behroz. Lenovo yoga? Problems. Try typing exit to get out of the grub and resume booting. It helps sometimes. The ISO cannot be modified, you can perhaps try luck with the old ISO, but I doubt it. I think you need to get a different computer till your exam

Petr Cihlar
0 Kudos
mgeeacn
Cadet
Cadet

I am having an issue with an HP 840 G8 saying that "boot image did not authenticate"  is that something anyone has experienced ?

0 Kudos
AnithaRaaji

Hi,

You can check for secure boot settings if enabled  in your laptop. The latest version ISO is not secure boot compliant and hence you get this error. You can reach out to Remote Exam Readiness support chat at :

https://red.ht/remote-exam-chat

0 Kudos
SilFoiera
Cadet
Cadet

Same with a HP Z-Book G9.

My consequence: Never again a remote exam (beside the hassle of "cleaning" the room, close the door ...which will be opened by the dog just moments later & triggers the Examiner to "rescan" the room again...).

0 Kudos
mgeeacn
Cadet
Cadet

I have an exam coming up this evening and not sure who to contact can someone in support reach out to me here please ? 

0 Kudos
alamp1360
Cadet
Cadet

Hi!

I also had issues with booting the ISO on my Lenovo Legend Laptop, which is about 2 years old.

First of all, the "Fedora Media Writer" simply crashes without any message when running on Windows 11. I tried to use "Ventoy", which told me the ISO is corrupted, maybe because it's encrypted.
I finally used "Rufus" to write the ISO onto a brand new 128GB USB stick.

Then, when i tried to boot the stick, after disabling secure boot, it simply booted to a grub prompt. Running "ls" on that prompt did not show any USB devices. ( (hd0,msdos) or the like).

So what i had to do was to set UEFI in BIOS to "Legacy support" and also set "Legacy first" in BIOS "Boot" settings. Those settings might be different on other Laptops, but the idea of disabling UEFI should be possible any "modern" machine.

With those settings, the Redhat environment finally booted. At first it seemed that it crashed, because the cursor blinked like mad, but after some minutes, it started to load the environment into memory and i was able to finally run the compatibility tests.

It's strange for me that the old ISO was able to boot on my Laptop without those UEFI settings and i wonder why the experts at Redhat are not able to create a similar environment on that new ISO, because i'm pretty sure a "normal" Fedora is able to boot from USB on my Laptop in UEFI mode without any issues.

Anyway: Wish me luck for my upcoming EX288 exam

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.