cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kathar1
Cadet
Cadet

Remote red hat exam using apple Mac Book Air ? Is it possible to write remote exam using Mac Book Ai

Hi All , I have Mac Book Air Laptop.. shall I use this to write the Red hat remote exams..? Or only windows Laptop? I bought this Laptop in 2021 Mac Book Air... Is it possible to fulfill the requirements for remote exams in this Mac Book ? Pls advice. Else I need to buy a new Laptop to write the exams remotely... I m planning to write openshift, satellite related exams
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
PetrCihlar

Yes and no. You have to try. Every Mac is a bit different and RH is not stesting all the models and maintaining any compatibility lists. In general, you need to run Apple Startup utility and enable USB boot and disable Secure Boot
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198
Than try to boot from the USB stick by holding down the option key.
In case you manage to boot, get ready many USB hubs and adapters because your internal mic, camera, network card, keyboard, will perhaps not be recognised.
Using Mac for the exam is sometimes not possible, sometimes hard but possible, sometimes easy. The newer Mac, the more issues and challenges. M1 and M2 Macs do not work at all.
I hope I did not discourage you from using Macs. I am a big Mac fan and long time Apple computer user. But some old Lenovos and Dells are still flying arround in my room for testing, I would rather use those for the exam.

Petr Cihlar
0 Kudos
PetrCihlar

The problem does not stand Apple vs. PC.
Not all Macs work for Remote Exam and not all PCs do.
I see your Macbook Air is from 2021. So it has likely M1 CPU, which is ARM architecture, therefore not supported. Macs starting from 2018 have many issues and I recommend avoiding them. Would buying a new Lenovo be a solution? Could be. But booting the older exam Fedora on a new computer may not end up well. I suggest you borrow an older (8-3 years old) mainstream computer with an integrated GPU. Avoid the newest chipsets and computers. Those are likely not to be supported. I mean, they will not boot, just like your Air

Petr Cihlar
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.