Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexajo
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thoughts about Red Hat Online Learning

Jump to solution

I love Red Hat Online Learning. I'm on almost every day. Sometimes I see something though that makes me think - I really wish the instructor would take a second to go into just a little bit more detail. For example, when the instructor is talking about editing the properties of a Virtual Machine in RH318 he mentions that you may want to change the Graphics Protocol to Spice + VNC. Or the Video type to QXL. When I look at the screen I see that - but where he could make a huge difference is to say why. What does that do. I understand that I can edit the properties, but why would I make the changes and to do what. 

And I notice this in a lot of the courses and I know there is Google and I can raise my hand. @cschunke and I have discussed this in the past. But it would be nice to have a bit more detail as to the 'why' as opposed to just the what.

My opinion.

Regards,

Joe.

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
cschunke
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback @alexajo I'll address what tools can be used today, and also share this feedback with our team that works on the video classroom @jmeegan_rhls . Some more of the "why" in our videos will go a long way when we hear from instructors, beyond just going over the content in the book. 

Tools available:

• Utilize the "Feedback" feature where possible to ask for these types of solutions. Our curriculum team looks at these responses and builds courses accordingly. Now, doing this everywhere you wonder "why" throughout a course would be crazy! But either an overall comment, or generally where you think it's most important would help. 
  • Utilize Expert Extras. These videos will not answer every question all the time, but part of their utility is for digging into sub topics like this and answering the "why" and the "why not". Will they answer everything in context? Definitely not, but again, use them where they make sense and where they're connected to courses. 
  • Reach out to Experts in Expert Chat. For Standard and Premium users, the Expert Chat feature is great for this sort of conversation. Experts can help provide answers and context to the materials, so please use them if you have questions. 
  • Utilize your peers in the community. With syndicated content and course-based groups, you can now discuss these types of topics with your peers, in a group specifically designed for course discussion. Your peers and other experts can have a dialog about the "why" and "how" of various topics. Explore the available course-based groups here in the community. 

View solution in original post

Jim_Meegan
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alexajo I'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the instructors who work on the video courses, thank you!

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @alexajo !

Thank you for your feedback ! Really appreciate it. 

One reason for that , which I can think , could be the time constraint and compulsion of sticking to the course objective / structure as outlined in the online pdf - deviating too much from it could result in a longer duration videos and it could result in video course different from the online pdf. 

Having said that - you can still submit a feedback for a particular course by using the "feedback" button at the top , in which you can mention what specifically you would like to be included in the course eg any extra topic, explanation or additional content - and our course development team can take a look at it. 

0 Kudos
alexajo
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you for taking the time to reply. And while I agree with you, I am referring to how we are spending that time. While some instructors are reading straight out of the student guide and telling me I can select this or that on the screen - of course I can see that. Teach - why can I do that. I can read it too. I can see the drop down. What does that buy me? Teach me what I cannot read for myself in the course text below or expand beyond the text. Expand beyond what I can see on the screen. If there is a drop-down and I am taking any course beyond the RHCSA, of course I'm going to play with every single thing in that GUI. But what do they buy me? If I've never seen this product before, and I'm not running it at work - this instructor is the only portal I have to learn what all of these things do. Help me learn it enough to convince my management to buy it.

cschunke
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback @alexajo I'll address what tools can be used today, and also share this feedback with our team that works on the video classroom @jmeegan_rhls . Some more of the "why" in our videos will go a long way when we hear from instructors, beyond just going over the content in the book. 

Tools available:

• Utilize the "Feedback" feature where possible to ask for these types of solutions. Our curriculum team looks at these responses and builds courses accordingly. Now, doing this everywhere you wonder "why" throughout a course would be crazy! But either an overall comment, or generally where you think it's most important would help. 
  • Utilize Expert Extras. These videos will not answer every question all the time, but part of their utility is for digging into sub topics like this and answering the "why" and the "why not". Will they answer everything in context? Definitely not, but again, use them where they make sense and where they're connected to courses. 
  • Reach out to Experts in Expert Chat. For Standard and Premium users, the Expert Chat feature is great for this sort of conversation. Experts can help provide answers and context to the materials, so please use them if you have questions. 
  • Utilize your peers in the community. With syndicated content and course-based groups, you can now discuss these types of topics with your peers, in a group specifically designed for course discussion. Your peers and other experts can have a dialog about the "why" and "how" of various topics. Explore the available course-based groups here in the community. 
Jim_Meegan
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alexajo I'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the instructors who work on the video courses, thank you!

Tags (2)
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.