Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d-cubed
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Is exFat available for RHEL 8 yet?

Jump to solution

I'm hoping to add exfat to RHEL 8. However, it doesn't seem to be in EPEL yet. Is exFat available yet for RHEL 8?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JangoJeff
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer
For all RHEL 8.* that would be my assumption. There are third party exFAT drivers, but using them would be at your own risk as they not “sanctioned” drivers and could void you Red Hat support.

If the Windows machine is on the same network you can share the files via samba or nfs. You can also install putty, Cygwin, WinSCP or other file transfer program on the Windows box to transfer the files that way as well. If you need to transfer via USB drive you can install something like 7-zip on the Windows box to split the file into chunks small enough to fit on a FAT drive.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JangoJeff
Flight Engineer
No, exFAT is just now going to be added to the Linux kernel, 5.x, in the coming weeks. However RHEL 8 is not using the most recent kernel, it’s using version 4.18. That means I wouldn’t expect it to be in RHEL 8 at all, unless Red Hat adds it some other way outside of the kernel.

Sent from my iPhone
0 Kudos
d-cubed
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Does that include all of 8.* ?

What about NTFS? [I need to share files larger than 4G on USB drives with Windows machines.]

0 Kudos
JangoJeff
Flight Engineer
For all RHEL 8.* that would be my assumption. There are third party exFAT drivers, but using them would be at your own risk as they not “sanctioned” drivers and could void you Red Hat support.

If the Windows machine is on the same network you can share the files via samba or nfs. You can also install putty, Cygwin, WinSCP or other file transfer program on the Windows box to transfer the files that way as well. If you need to transfer via USB drive you can install something like 7-zip on the Windows box to split the file into chunks small enough to fit on a FAT drive.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

If you need to read exFat in RH8 Just go to https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=fuse-exfat  and download the RPM for your arch of RedHat.  Install and you are ready to go.

Regards

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.