Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnAdams
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Keyed ssh logon hanging at "Offering public key:"

Hi, folks,

Recently our machines started intermittently hanging during keyed ssh logins. When I run with the -v flag, I see that it's hanging at "Offering public key:".

It's happening across all RHEL machines, so far as I can tell, and not with any other *nix variants.

Thanks,

John A

1 Reply
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @JohnAdams !

Thanks for reaching out ! 

It would be really difficult task to troubleshoot an ssh issue without looking at the configurations , logs and services in a linux machine. 

Having said that , please check the ssh configuration, keys' access/ownership and logs ( auth.log  - check your syslog conf if auth logs are redirected to anywhere else) to try to understand the issue. You can try more detailed debug level -vvv to see if any clue is there.

Offering pubic key means : it is trying to authenticate the user and that it has the private key for that public key agreed by server.

If it hangs there it may be a dns or a reverse dns issue. Try to set "UseDNS" to No in the ssh config and see if it helps. 

If the production environment is impacted by this then DO NOT implement any troubleshooting advice randomly - engage the support team and open a support case with the vendor. 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.