cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ridwan_G4
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

[Need advice for the best practices] About Upgrading OS RHEL/CentOS with Offline Ecosystem

Jump to solution

Hi guys, I hope you are always doing great and staying healthy.
First of all, I would like to say sorry for my bad English.

I have some problems I want to share and discuss with you all. (You know, I'm the type of person who always loves to share, including a problem  )

Let's imagine I have an running application cluster like a Hadoop ecosystem, databases clustering, etc., all the apps running on the operating system (RHEL/Centos) under Openstack Infrastructure.

overview.png

And the problem is, all the VMs and instances have offline access (no internet access) because of some security reason, and we can't comply with that.

Let's say I have 100 instance/VM is running and I think it is not the best practice to use "leapp" to upgrade one by one vm/instance.
So, let's discuss together "what is the best way to upgrade the OS version with the offline method?".

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Travis

There are a few methods to do this, however, my guess is that the VMs that are currently running you consider those infrastructure, so they can't be replaced. Generally, if they are regular instance images, you replace the master and relaunch.

I would guess however, your systems are more like "pets" where you can't replace and you must update. So some of the easier things to do ...

1. Use a Red Hat Satellite systems (most likely this would be more work than you want)
  2. Create a new YUM Repo server and download all the RPMs and packages using "ym download only" or "dnf download only" to build the repo

Once you have a repository, leverage Ansible to create a repo file to distribute to all systems in the RHOSP stack, then the playbook could perform a "yum update" to update all the packages.

Travis Michette, RHCA XIII
https://rhtapps.redhat.com/verify?certId=111-134-086
SENIOR TECHNICAL INSTRUCTOR / CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR AND EXAMINER
Red Hat Certification + Training

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Travis

There are a few methods to do this, however, my guess is that the VMs that are currently running you consider those infrastructure, so they can't be replaced. Generally, if they are regular instance images, you replace the master and relaunch.

I would guess however, your systems are more like "pets" where you can't replace and you must update. So some of the easier things to do ...

1. Use a Red Hat Satellite systems (most likely this would be more work than you want)
  2. Create a new YUM Repo server and download all the RPMs and packages using "ym download only" or "dnf download only" to build the repo

Once you have a repository, leverage Ansible to create a repo file to distribute to all systems in the RHOSP stack, then the playbook could perform a "yum update" to update all the packages.

Travis Michette, RHCA XIII
https://rhtapps.redhat.com/verify?certId=111-134-086
SENIOR TECHNICAL INSTRUCTOR / CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR AND EXAMINER
Red Hat Certification + Training
Ridwan_G4
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Alright, I'll try to move forward with it.

But let me ask something:

1. Where's the Red Hat Satellite that will be installed (as an instance inside My Openstack)?
    So it's meant the Red Hat Satellite will not have internet either, right?
  2. How about the license and prices of this product?
Chetan_Tiwary_

+1 to what  @Travis mentioned {we should by default accept his answer as a solution  bcz he leaves nothing more to add }

Refer this thread too : https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/How-do-I-upgrade-from-RHEL-8-6-to-RHEL-8-7-in-offline-method/m-p... 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.