Hi all, I've been using oVIrt since version 3.5, i really love it
But i didn't find a VM backup solutions that fullfill my requirenments, so i created a little script to do it.
You can find the documentation of my script in my personal blog:
Github repo: https://github.com/vacosta94/VirtBKP
This script litterally save my life a few times, so now i'm thinking to create a more complete backup tool based on this script, and i have this objectives:
- The new tool should be able to create a full VM backup including hardware configuration, at this moment my script only creates a DISK backup
- The new tool should be able to handle archiving and RPO policies
- The new tool should be able to create backup based on VM tags
- Should be installed and/or distributed as a simple virtual appliance
So, i want to know the community thoughts about this:
- Any ideas or suggestions?
- Am i trying to create something that already exists?
- Any good opensource and free to use VM backup solution that support oVirt/RHEVM you can recommend?
I just downloaded and tried this script, based on the instructions on your blog. I seems easy to use, but it fails part way through the backup.
[root@controller VirtBKP]# /opt/VirtBKP/backup_vm.py /opt/VirtBKP/default.conf mx-ubu-1604-alc-02
[OK] Connection to oVIrt API success https://controller.mycluster.net/ovirt-engine/api
[INFO] Trying to create snapshot of VM: ac07845e-8241-42aa-846a-5cb36c62d6d8
[OK] Snapshot created
[INFO] Trying to create a qcow2 file of disk fd056c99-12f6-40ab-b0c5-fce6a7a75d54
[INFO] Attach snap disk to bkpvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/VirtBKP/backup_vm.py", line 6, in <module>
File "/opt/VirtBKP/backup_vm_last.py", line 241, in main
File "/opt/VirtBKP/backup_vm_last.py", line 209, in backup
File "/opt/VirtBKP/backup_vm_last.py", line 120, in attach_disk
urlattach = self.url+"/v3/vms/"+bkpid+"/disks/"
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects
Not being a python programmer or having the time today to learn python, it looks to me like the method attach_disk expects 4 parameters, but is only being given 3. Any thoughts?