cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mukeshkumar
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Redhat Client changes IP everytime assigend by DHCP server.

Jump to solution

Redhat Client changes IP address everytime when rebbot assigend by DHCP server..I have checked at dhcp server sid eno issue found.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@Mukeshkumar,

I don't see the issue.  If your system is configured as a DHCP client, and your server is configured with a pool of IPs, then, potentially the client could get any of the available IPs in that pool whenever it does a new IP request.

What is lacking from this post is any sort of diagnostic information, so, it's impossible for anyone to provide a detailed response.

That said, if you care about the IP your client is recieving, many DHCP servers allow you to reserve an IP based on the MAC address of the requesting client.  I've used this many times to assign, essentially, static addresses to devices like printers where it's inconvenient to either do the configuration on the device, or where I may not have physical access to the device.  By using DHCP reservations, I can manipulate the settings on the DHCP server in order to change the settings applied to these devices out in the network.

-STM

--
Manager, Technical Marketing
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer (100-000-264)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Scott
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@Mukeshkumar,

I don't see the issue.  If your system is configured as a DHCP client, and your server is configured with a pool of IPs, then, potentially the client could get any of the available IPs in that pool whenever it does a new IP request.

What is lacking from this post is any sort of diagnostic information, so, it's impossible for anyone to provide a detailed response.

That said, if you care about the IP your client is recieving, many DHCP servers allow you to reserve an IP based on the MAC address of the requesting client.  I've used this many times to assign, essentially, static addresses to devices like printers where it's inconvenient to either do the configuration on the device, or where I may not have physical access to the device.  By using DHCP reservations, I can manipulate the settings on the DHCP server in order to change the settings applied to these devices out in the network.

-STM

--
Manager, Technical Marketing
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer (100-000-264)
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.