Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svelpula
Cadet
Cadet

SAP HANA from SUSE Linux Enterprise to REDHAT Linux Enterprise

Hi All,

Can we restore a Hana backup from Suse Linux to RHEL.Currently, my SAP HANA is running SUSE Linux enterprise and I want to change OS to Redhat Linux instead. So please advise and provide steps 

Tags (1)
3 Replies
shashi01

Hello @svelpula 

Thank you for reaching out.

The answer is yes. Has to be the same Hana version. It is even possible to do a live migration by doing Hana SR to the new RHEL host or exporting the DB on SLES and import into RHEL

0 Kudos
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @svelpula !

Thanks for reaching out!

This learning community mainly focuses on learning around the Red Hat course offerings and hence many a times you would not get the required support you need which involves critical production tasks like "restoring  a Hana backup from Suse Linux to RHEL".

Given the criticality of the task and since it invloves a product support - I strongly recommend you to engage the support teams and open a product support case in case you need support during migration. 

Please do not randomly do any changes to the production or your own environment based on random advices.  The actual steps and commands may vary based on the specific version of SAP HANA, the backup and restoration tools you're using, and any customization you've made to your SAP HANA environment. Always refer to the official documentation and guides provided by SAP for accurate and version-specific instructions. Additionally, it's recommended to perform this migration in a controlled environment or with the assistance of experienced SAP HANA administrators to ensure a smooth transition.

0 Kudos
MK1970
Cadet
Cadet

The following SAP Note is the one that describes the Backup and Restore process on different OSes: https://me.sap.com/notes/0002339638
SAP treats Linux as one OS no matter if it's SUSE or RedHat. Hence the application is identical on both OSes. As Chetan said, if it is a critical production system, help from experienced consultants may be of advantage.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.