cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nitesh07
Cadet
Cadet

What should I learn Rhel 7 or 8 or both?

Jump to solution
Hello,
My name is Nitesh. I am a beginner in Linux . I need some help! When I compare objectives of Rhel 7 or 8 they are very different because of this I am confused what should I learn Rhel 7 or 8 or both?
Or when I apply for Linux system administrator job they ask me question regarding what I study like Rhel 7 or according to latest Rhel ?
Please guide me
Thank you
Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Umang1
Cadet
Cadet

First try to learn basis of Linux, that would be enough for a begineer to start with. Yes there is a slight difference between rhel 7 and rhel 8 , but that must be understandable once you enter to actual environment. I assumed still most of the organization are now using rhel 7..so you shoud not face much of the issues. 

But try to do your basis rights..

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Umang1
Cadet
Cadet

First try to learn basis of Linux, that would be enough for a begineer to start with. Yes there is a slight difference between rhel 7 and rhel 8 , but that must be understandable once you enter to actual environment. I assumed still most of the organization are now using rhel 7..so you shoud not face much of the issues. 

But try to do your basis rights..

Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Also, RHEL9 was published several months ago. So who wants to be working for a company that only embaces old software?

Jo3fis
Cadet
Cadet

I think just learning the current version and perhaps taking notes of the differences somewhere in your documentation regarding older versions or even just noting down some good resources on the topics will be a good start.

The liklihood of encountering old and outdated versions running ancient software in the wild is much higher than people realise.

0 Kudos
Trevor
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Nitesh,

Why bother with either RHEL 7 or 8?  Why not climb
aboard RHEL 9 to being your Linux learning journey!

If you start your journey with RHEL 7 or 8, you'll eventually
be playing catchup to RHEL 9.  You will essentially be
spreading your learning across 2 versions of RHEL. Why not
go ahead and kill two birds with one stone: 1) Begin your linux
journey, 2) using the latest RHEL version.  Two achievements
with the price of a single effort.  Now that's efficiency!!!

Anyway, this is the advice/suggestion that I'd give to myself.
Much success to you in your journey!!!

Trevor "Red Hat Evangelist" Chandler
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.