cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

should I chagne the disk type to lvm when creating a partition?

Jump to solution

Hello guys, I've been using 'fdisk' to create a lvm, but I've never changed type to lvm while using 'fdisk'

but I found out one of the online course I'm taking, the prof changed type by 't' and 'lvm' on fdisk session.

after that, his disk showed type Linux LVM, but mine showed Linux. 

should I type 't' and 'lvm' on fdisk session to change disk type to lvm? or can I leave it out? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hi @spurs !

Thanks for reaching out !

While I think it is easier for identification and organisational purpose if you use the lvm type which makes it effiective to use the disks.  In LVM, setting the label of a physical volume as "LVM" is not necessary for the functionality of LVM itself. The label itself does not have a direct impact on the operation of LVM or the ability to use the physical volume

When you create a physical volume using the pvcreate command, LVM sets up the necessary metadata structures on the partition. LVM relies on this metadata to recognize and manage the physical volume.

Refer here please :  https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/configuring_and_managi... 

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1687970577561.png

Chetan_Tiwary__1-1687973203780.png

Chetan_Tiwary__2-1687973243339.png

Chetan_Tiwary__3-1687973268372.png

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1687977582396.png

However I will recommend you to use the 8e hexadecimal to label the partition as lvm becz the partition type 8e is commonly used to identify a partition as being specifically intended for use with LVM and is considered a best practice for clarity and to adhere to standard conventions. It helps prevent any confusion or potential conflicts with other partitioning schemes or utilities.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Chetan_Tiwary_

Yes I will recommend you to use the type 8e for LVM partition. Bcz as I said for organisational and identificational purpose it is required ( if instructed to do so ). 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hi @spurs !

Thanks for reaching out !

While I think it is easier for identification and organisational purpose if you use the lvm type which makes it effiective to use the disks.  In LVM, setting the label of a physical volume as "LVM" is not necessary for the functionality of LVM itself. The label itself does not have a direct impact on the operation of LVM or the ability to use the physical volume

When you create a physical volume using the pvcreate command, LVM sets up the necessary metadata structures on the partition. LVM relies on this metadata to recognize and manage the physical volume.

Refer here please :  https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/configuring_and_managi... 

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1687970577561.png

Chetan_Tiwary__1-1687973203780.png

Chetan_Tiwary__2-1687973243339.png

Chetan_Tiwary__3-1687973268372.png

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1687977582396.png

However I will recommend you to use the 8e hexadecimal to label the partition as lvm becz the partition type 8e is commonly used to identify a partition as being specifically intended for use with LVM and is considered a best practice for clarity and to adhere to standard conventions. It helps prevent any confusion or potential conflicts with other partitioning schemes or utilities.

0 Kudos
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Cool thank you so much, as you said the 'Linux' on 'Type' column doesn't affect its functionality, right? which means I can keep going lvm process without changing type during the exam?

*I will probably change the type to LVM to make sure tho! (now it's in my head)

0 Kudos
Chetan_Tiwary_

Yes I will recommend you to use the type 8e for LVM partition. Bcz as I said for organisational and identificational purpose it is required ( if instructed to do so ). 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.