Did you mean: 
jeesshnasree
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer
  • 15.5K Views

what is latest 7.6 kernel latest version

Jump to solution

hi all,

kindly provide latest kernel version of rhel 7.6 version . kindly share kernal the latest link 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JS_Learning

Hi, I write again because the website bugged and I lost my answer...

I am trying to find out "how to find" the information you gave.

We have RHEL7.6 here and a "yum list kernel" shows that the latest available version is 3.10.0-957.12.2.el7. We use a RH satellite here.

As you said, on the page we saw there seems to be a newer version on that "branch" (3.10.0-957.35.2.el7 ).

I don't know why it's not showing me that xxx.35.2 version instead of xxx.12.2.

Also, how are we supposed to know that a xxx.957.yyy is associated with RHEL7.6 and not, for example, RHEL7.7?

I see we find all versions in the drop down menu, but as you indicated these are all versions of Kernel available. In reality, they are some versions associated with some versions of RHELXX (Or I should say "available exclusively from RHELXX").

Thanks,

0 Kudos
cl
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi ! :) "I don't know why it's not showing me ..." Best would be to contact Red Hat Customer Service to get this solved. And "How are we supposed to know ..." Well, organization sysadmins do know this - or better - they (really) should know this !

Regards,

Christian

JS_Learning

I got the answers.

1) RH team release an updated version of a package and make it available to the release of specific branch (say RHEL7.6). That's them who know/decide that say kernel Vxxx should come to RHEL7.6 and kernel Vyyy goes to RHEL7.7.

Or to rephrase, we are not supposed to find out what kernel matches RHEL version XYZ, but we are supposed to use what we are delivered.

2) From an user perspective, the yum list kernel should show the latest version, as per their subscription(s). In my case it's using Satellite. The reason why it's not the latest version is because there's a concept of CV (Content View) and they need to be updated on the servers, otherwise it won't show the latest updates.

In order word, yum list kernel is showing me an older version of kernel because something has to be done to refresh the CV.

Now I understand what is happening :D

Tx for the help.

PS: that means that somehow, manually informing about a newer version of kernel available can be confusing and it's time based. The best way is to list that from the system, that way one gets the latest version they are supposed to use, as prepared and deliver by RH.

0 Kudos
cl
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi ! :) You're welcome ... glad you've got everything clarified. Have a great day ! :)

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
JS_Learning

Thanks to all of your help, I am actually able to answer the original question:

1) This link shows the kernel version "branch" associated with a release of RHEL (ex: RHEL7.6):

https://access.redhat.com/articles/3078

2) Where to download the latest kernel? As said in previous posts, the end user should actually not be concerned with knowing which kernel version should be taken. The Red Hat team makes the latest kernel version available in the RHEL repos. So it should be the question of only seeing what's there using "yum list kernel". For some reasons, if it's not the latest it can be because:

- There's a Red Hat Satellite and some not updated "Content Views"

- There's a situation with the subscription and the "EUS" (Extended Update Support).

For example here it seems that this update is only available for users who have that EUS subscription:

(read the "Available from")

https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/rhel---7.6/x86_64/4117/kernel/3.10.0-957.35.2.el7/x86_64...

3) Again, that confirms than giving kernel version here is incorrect because it would be only valid at the time of giving the link, and it won't be the source of the information. The correct source is what's on "yum list kernel", what has been officially prepared and released.

I hope that clarifies!

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.