huyvl3-fptcloud
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

The Ansible Navigator presents too much unnecessary information

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm lab on my local environment with RHEL9.3 and subcribed. When using the command to list the inventory output, I found it displayed too much unnecessary information, which is not happening at all in the teaching video. I tried it dozens of times thinking the environment didn't exist yet, but the information kept showing up.

[root@huyvl-linux-training ~]# ansible-navigator inventory -i my_inventory/ -m stdout --list
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Execution environment image and pull policy overview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Execution environment image name:     registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest
Execution environment image tag:      latest
Execution environment pull arguments: None
Execution environment pull policy:    tag
Execution environment pull needed:    True
Updating the execution environment
Running the command: podman pull registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest
Trying to pull registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest...
Getting image source signatures
Checking if image destination supports signatures
Copying blob 1de299fb0d50 skipped: already exists
Copying blob 87e3ab05d9a4 skipped: already exists
Copying blob 08c375495313 skipped: already exists
Copying blob dc9b17c0a14e skipped: already exists
Copying config 80a02196e3 done
Writing manifest to image destination
Storing signatures
80a02196e30edffdb7b41aa7ac37628559fdf6aebe066f53c0e68a49450b4917
[WARNING]:  * Failed to parse /root/my_inventory/dev/linux with yaml plugin: We were unable to read either as JSON nor YAML, these are the errors we got from each: JSON: Expecting value: line 1 column 2
(char 1)  Syntax Error while loading YAML.   did not find expected <document start>  The error appears to be in '/root/my_inventory/dev/linux': line 2, column 1, but may be elsewhere in the file depending
on the exact syntax problem.  The offending line appears to be:  [rhel8] rhel[a-b].example.com ^ here
[WARNING]:  * Failed to parse /root/my_inventory/dev/linux with ini plugin: host range must be begin:end or begin:end:step
[WARNING]: Unable to parse /root/my_inventory/dev/linux as an inventory source
[WARNING]: Unable to parse /root/my_inventory/prod as an inventory source
[WARNING]: Unable to parse /root/my_inventory/qa as an inventory source
{
    "_meta": {
        "hostvars": {}
    },
    "all": {
        "children": [
            "ungrouped",
            "rhel8",
            "switches",
            "routers"
        ]
    },
    "routers": {
        "hosts": [
            "192.168.0.254",
            "192.168.1.254",
            "192.168.2.254"
        ]
    },
    "switches": {
            "192.168.0.1",
            "192.168.1.1",
            "192.168.2.1",
            "192.168.3.1"
        ]
    }
}
[root@huyvl-linux-training ~]#

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Ah ok I got it - check the image and pull policy overview in your screenshot : you can set accordingly :  https://docs.ansible.com/automation-controller/latest/html/userguide/execution_environments.html 

Specify the image pull policy 
always:Always pull the image, 
missing:Pull if not locally available, 
never:Never pull the image, 
tag:if the image tag is 'latest', always pull the image, otherwise pull if not locally available

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

@huyvl3-fptcloud Which video lecture are you referring to ? It seems ansible-navigator failed to parse the inventory files either because of the syntax error or file format error.

0 Kudos
huyvl3-fptcloud
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thanks for your respond @Chetan_Tiwary_ . Maybe I have a problem with the syntax. After tweaking it properly, the problem still shows up.

showing up.

[root@huyvltest ~]# ansible-navigator inventory -i my_inventory/dev/linux -m stdout --list
Execution environment image name:     registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest
Running the command: podman pull registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest
Trying to pull registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest...
Storing signatures
{
    },
            "ungrouped",
            "rhel8"
        ]
    },
    "rhel8": {
            "web1.example.com"
        ]
    }
}
[root@huyvltest ~]# ansible-navigator inventory -i my_inventory/dev/linux -m stdout --list
Storing signatures
{
    },
            "ungrouped",
            "rhel8"
        ]
    },
    "rhel8": {
            "web1.example.com"
        ]
    }
}
[root@huyvltest ~]#

0 Kudos
huyvl3-fptcloud
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

It is the lesson content of the first part of RH294 chapter 02

Chetan_Tiwary_

Ah ok I got it - check the image and pull policy overview in your screenshot : you can set accordingly :  https://docs.ansible.com/automation-controller/latest/html/userguide/execution_environments.html 

Specify the image pull policy 
always:Always pull the image, 
missing:Pull if not locally available, 
never:Never pull the image, 
tag:if the image tag is 'latest', always pull the image, otherwise pull if not locally available

huyvl3-fptcloud
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

That's what's been bugging me these past few days - missing ansible-navigator configuration

[root@huyvl-linux-training ~]# cat .ansible-navigator.yml
---
ansible-navigator:
execution-environment:
image: registry.redhat.io/ansible-automation-platform-24/ee-supported-rhel8:latest
pull:
policy: missing
[root@huyvl-linux-training ~]#

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.