cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

My bad: there is no error in RH134 8.2, Chapter 2, Section 4 - Guided Exercise

There is an error in the instructions in the RH134 8.2, Chapter 2, Section 4 Guided Excercise (Scheduling Recurring User Jobs).

Step 2 instructs the student to: Schedule a recurring job as student that appends the current date and time to /home/student/my_first_cron_job.txt every two minutes between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. The job must only run from Monday to Friday, not on Saturday or Sunday.

The solution, however, says this:
*/2 08-20 * * Mon-Fri /usr/bin/date >> /home/student/my_first_cron_job.txt

The problem is that the instruction says 9pm and the solution says 20, which is 8pm.

(See the replies, below. This is a mistake in my understanding, which has since been rectified.)

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alexandre
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

No errors here. Executing times include 08:00,08:02... 20:56,20:58. So no genral problem, slightly problematic is only end points of range: 08.00 and 21:00. Does its should be included or not?

Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

So, in the long run . . . my bad. @Alexandre is correct, having an end time of 20 will include 20:02, 20:04, . . ., 20:58

(Yes, I tested it.)

I can't believe I assumed that 20 was the end time. I suppose the best way to look at it is that any hour that includes 20.

So, thank you @Alexandre 

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.