cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Error in RHEL 8 RH124 Chapter 4.5 -- and fix

Executing this command (evince /home/student/passwd.ps) in RHEL 8, RH124, Chapter 4.5, Step 5 (a., b., and c.). gives an error. This is in NetLab+:

4_5.PNG

Trying evince by itself produces the same error.

ANS: This happens if you SSH into workstation from foundation 0 (as the NetLab+ Accessing Lab Content instruction say you can do on page 7). In order to make it work, you must access the workstation VM using the VM workstation Console, found in the Education group from Show Application.

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
5 Replies
LLRobinson
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @Tracy_Baker I've been browsing your posts and I find them super helpful. Could we work together to put them in an issue tracker so they are in one place for other Academy instructors like me? Or do you have something like that already we could access?

Head in Cloud
0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@LLRobinson I think there already is a place for these kinds of things -- at least for the commercial partners. I should check to see if RHA instructors have access to it as well (I bet we do, and I bet I've been told in past and have forgotten...)

0 Kudos
Cnherring
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

So would it not be easier to have students access the virtaul machines via the VM workstation Console in the first place to complete assignments?  If so has anyone taken this approach?

0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@Cnherring : When using ssh:

foundation0 -> workstation will cause problems if the lab requires the use of workstation's GUI.

----

workstation -> any of the servers works just fine, probably because none of the servers have GUIs running on them anyway.

As a result, I have my students log into workstation using the VM console, then ssh into the servers from there. Doing this has causes no problems (other than not knowing the root password on the VMs when using NetLab+).

0 Kudos
Cnherring
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

This is our first semester running RHEL8 and we have decided to do the same.  We expected some bumps in the road and honestly this is a pretty easy adjustment on our part.

Also if interested we include a four deliverable quiz for each chapter for reinforcement of the concepts.  Easy to grade 25 points per or 12.5 if you get part of a question correct.  If you ever want to share supplementary material let us know.

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.