cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about RHEL 8 Labs Through Netlab VE

Jump to solution

We recently updated our Netlab Pods to version 8 from OVAs (CSSIA).  The labs are working great but when they call us to use su - with a password of redhat, we are not able to do that.  We have to work around it by using sudo su -.  We are using the instrucitons from Gilmore provided by the Red Hat login.  We are running the container scripts from the Netlab documention and then the lab set up files.  

I sent a message back and forth with Kaan at NDG and he passed my infromation and screenshots to the his lab development team.  Any information you may be able to provide would be extremely appreciated.

Paul Getz, West-MEC, Buckeye AZ

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Yes, I am familiar with that. I've asked Red Hat and I was told that NDG must have changed it.

This is proven by the physical classroom (which we also have). It does use redhat to access the root accounts on the VMs (and the root password on foundation is what it was in RHEL 7).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing: sudo su - is part of the official course instruction, see (on Gilmore): RHEL 8, RH124, Chapter 6, Section 3:

"Getting an Interactive Root Shell with Sudo. If there is a nonadministrative user account on the system that can use sudo to run the su command, you can run sudo su - from that account to get an interactive root user shell. This works because sudo will run su - as root, and root does not need to enter a password to use su."

Once in, you can change the root password for that session.

I do not know your specific circumstance is… I’ve not had any issues, to date, with the labs as written (except that I find issues every now and again, mostly with them being confusingly written – see my posts in this sub-forum).

Keep in mind that I’ve only worked my way through the RH124 Chapter 10 labs so far.

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Yes, I am familiar with that. I've asked Red Hat and I was told that NDG must have changed it.

This is proven by the physical classroom (which we also have). It does use redhat to access the root accounts on the VMs (and the root password on foundation is what it was in RHEL 7).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing: sudo su - is part of the official course instruction, see (on Gilmore): RHEL 8, RH124, Chapter 6, Section 3:

"Getting an Interactive Root Shell with Sudo. If there is a nonadministrative user account on the system that can use sudo to run the su command, you can run sudo su - from that account to get an interactive root user shell. This works because sudo will run su - as root, and root does not need to enter a password to use su."

Once in, you can change the root password for that session.

I do not know your specific circumstance is… I’ve not had any issues, to date, with the labs as written (except that I find issues every now and again, mostly with them being confusingly written – see my posts in this sub-forum).

Keep in mind that I’ve only worked my way through the RH124 Chapter 10 labs so far.

Hi Tracy, I really appreciate your response and I felt like a total Noob sending it in the first place.   Your explanation totally makes sense.  When you get to Chapter 13, I would be curious to see if you experience any issues there.  That is the area where we are having the most issues with what I had previoulsy posted.  I have enjoyed reading your previous posts and will conitnue forward.  Thank you again!

Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Great... Something to look forward to </sarcasm>

I'm almost done with chapter 11 -- I should be doing chapter 13 soon.

(In case you are wondering what I'm doing: I am rewriting [not just checking] all of the content. That way I can find, and address, these issues before I start teaching it to my students. We're stating RHEL 8 in Fall 2020.)

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.