Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TobinShields
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Student VMs for DIY labs

Hello All, 

I am a RHA instructor and I seem to be hitting a lot of roadblocks with getting the DIY labs set up. I was hoping to get to help. My goal is to be able to give my students a .OVA file that contains the fully built VM, which includes a single student workstation. All of my personal attempts to build this VM have failed. 

Can RHA share a .OVA with the RHA instructors? Ideally one that will work with Virtualbox, so that we can avoid paying the lisencing fees for VMware. 

Best, 

Tobin

Labels (2)
3 Replies

Hello,

I'm a student at the Arizona State University (Information Technology major) and we had to build our VM during the last semester. Perhaps I can help you if you tell where your attempts on building VM failed.

Martha

Martha Welch, Student ID>
https://learn.redhat.com/  https://cheapessaywriter.co.uk

0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@marthawelch1 

When did ASU become a Red Hat Academy?

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@TobinShields 

It isn't nearly that easy. Firstly, workstation is a virtual machine that runs under foundation0

And it isn't the only one. In order to make it work, foundation0 also has servera, serverb, bastion, and classroom virtual machines - for RH124/134. For RH294, you have to toss in serverc and serverd as well.

Keep in mind that the classroom VM, by default, has the setup/grading/finishing scripts and other required content that's used to do the labs.

You could do this without foundation0, I suppose, but then you'd have to have 5 to 7 separate VMs running under KVM, VMware, etc...

Anyway, it has already been done, by Lee Toderick at East Carolina University. I run them under VMware at my home (since we're completely online this semster).

I believe his username here is @LeeT - maybe shoot him a message?

What I don't know is how Red Hat feels about us giving them to students. Maybe ask Trish?

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.