pli-rh
Cadet
Cadet

Keyboard shortcut for Red Hat remote exam OS

Hello RHLS Fellows,

Any idea about shortcut key for switching between application windows at Red Hat remote exam OS?

Unfortunately, Alt + Tab or Super + Tab or Alt + Esc key combination do not seem to work. The lack of keyboard shortcut is rather inconvenient and time consuming for going back and forth between exam questions and CLI terminals. 

Here is the info about remote exam OS:

GUI: Gnome v3.38.1

Image: RHRE.v20220719.F.46ea0c7

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Tess
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Unfortunately the official PDF about the remote Kiosk exams does not provide this information. -> https://www.redhat.com/rhdc/managed-files/tr-remote-exams-preparation-ebook-f27382-202103-en_2.pdf

Like you, I'm a fervent user of keyboard shortcuts, so it's going to take some adjusting to only rely on the mouse for task switching. 

This thread from 2021 also never got any useful replies -> https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Containers-DevOps-OpenShift/How-do-you-navigate-between-windows-in-a-rem...

0 Kudos
Tess
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

I took EX188 last night. I can confirm there is no way to use shortcuts to switch between applications. I kept my terminal small and my browser big... 

pli-rh
Cadet
Cadet

Thank you Tess for sharing your experience. I too have to put windows side by side and adjust font size/zoom percentage so that I can refer to the question while typing answer. 

I raised a case with Red Hat support and they confirmed keyboard shortcut was disabled on purpose for some security season and that cannot be disclosed due to confidentiality... The only way to navigate between windows is to use mouse even though they know it is slow. 

Personally I believe Red Hat should be considerate to re-enable window navigation shortcut, especially given the time pressure and only one screen is allowed during exam.

RHLS Fellows, please raise your feedback to Red Hat if you can to push for improving this poor time wasting exam limitation. 

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.