Highlighted
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Online Training Lab performance

Hello !

I am exploring the course RH294 ( Linux Automation with Ansible ) that includes an Online Lab, which is run by seven virtual machines ( workstation / classroom / servera / serverb / serverc / serverd / bastion ). These seven cloud servers are painfully slow - after starting the lab it takes about half an hour before it can be used.

When I login to the workstation VM, it takes another few minutes until I can launch an application, and all key strokes I type in a terminal or a GUI application, like gedit appear significantly delayed.

My internet connection allows 100 Mbit/s of download, and 40 Mbit/s of upload speed. I ran the performance test within the lab and the results being reported are that everything is set up for good experience.

Meanwhile I have started the classroom three times on three different days and the experience was always the same ... so, I have three questions :

Firstly, is what I've decribed expected "normal" behavior, or is there something I can do to improve the performance ?

Secondly, how can I login to the workstation in "non-GUI-mode" ( Ctrl+Alt+F3 is not an available option ) without having to reboot the VM after executing systemctl set-default multi-user.target ?

Thirdly, how can I paste a larger text, let's say the content of an Ansible playbook, so that it appears exactly like the original ?

When I use the paste function in the lab, everything appears in one line and some characters are wrong ( for example ; instead of : ). Also, lower case letters appear as upper case letters randomly. Only a reboot of the workstation VM solves the problem, but unfortunately the same issue returns after some time.

Hardware : CLEVO W370SS Laptop / i7-4710MQ CPU / 24 GB RAM

Host : fedora 31 workstation | Browser : chromium 80.0.3987.122

Tips and tricks are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Christian

Red Hat Accelerator
access.redhat.com/accelerators
Labels (1)
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Online Training Lab - poor performance

@cl Sorry you have not received a response on this up to this point. I would recommend that you include any feedback or questions on the traning products in the "Red Hat Learning Subscription" section, as that deals with all things related to our self-paced training products and our labs. 

As for your specific concerns, while lab startup times may be longer than expected, your experience of 30 minutes is much longer than the average. Our support teams can look where your provisioning is taking place, to ensure it is in a region that makes sense for your physical location. Can you please submit a support ticket, and add your details above, as well as where you're physically located? This can be done through the "Support" link at the top of the course page. 

Highlighted
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you for your response ! I am located in Germany. When I click on "Support", I am getting redirected to https://access.redhat.com where, by the way I am quite active in the Customer Portal Community (https://access.redhat.com/user/13851731).

You mean open a Support Case ? Well, to be honest, I try to avoid that if even possible. I have an open support ticket since nearly four years and the on-going discussion, and repeatedly reporting the same issues over and over again is driving me nuts. 

It would be kind of you to pass over my questions to the relevant team and post back their feedback here, and to place this thread on the "Red Hat Learning Subscription" section you've mentioned. Unfortunately I am not able to do this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Christian

Red Hat Accelerator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

While they are investigating the first issue, I can help you with the other two.

To log in to the workstation VM, open the virtual keyboard (the keyboard icon in the top right corner).    Press Ctrl, then Alt, then F3. That will switch to a text terminal. To get back to the graphical environment, use Ctrl+Alt+F1.

For your third issue, the text pasting mechanism is the only way to copy data in/out of the VM.  Unfortunately, there are a few bugs with it, but it is usually better than nothing.  We are currently investigating a better way to copy/paste so look for some updates to this in the coming weeks.

Highlighted
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hey, that's great feedback, thank you very much ! Your tip with the virtual keyboard is useful. Regarding the copy/paste topic : I can only hope this can get solved before my subscription expires.

Regards,

Christian

Red Hat Accelerator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Re: Online Training Lab performance

Update : The main issue I've reported seems to be resolved meanwhile, the start time of the lab environment and the performance of the virtual machines are acceptable now. Thanks for that !

Regards,

Christian

Red Hat Accelerator
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.