I run into a problem at the very last step of the RH426 Chapter 1 Guided Exercise and Lab (Exercise and Lab are pretty much identical in this chapter), where it says to test fencing nodeb from nodea.
pcs stonith fence nodeb.private.example.com
In my case it ends with
Error: unable to fence 'nodeb.private.example.com' Command failed: no route to host
I have followed the guide to the letter. Later, I've destroyed the lab environment and re-created it, then performed the exercise again but the result is the same.
In /var/log/messages on nodea there's
notice: stonith_choose_peer: Couldn't find anyone to fence 'nodeb.private.example.com'...
This sounds to me, as if the fencing server, which in this case is classroom.example.com, could not be reached (but it is very much pingable) or there was something wrong with its configuration, but this server is not open for students to check its config.
Could anyone offer any suggestions?
I have reset the lab environment once again and went on to Chapter 2 Guided Exercise #1, where this command should set up identical three-node cluster:
[student@workstation ~]$ lab basiccluster setup
I was hoping that whatever mistake I could have made when preparing the cluster by hand, it would be done correctly by this scripted setup.
But no. Fencing doesn't work when the cluster is set up this way too.
I am facing the very same issue.
It is really weird.opened a case but no response yet.
classroom can be reached but note that it is not part of the private network which is the one used for the cluster communication.I don't know if this may be the cause.
Thanks for confirming that something is wrong there.
I opened a case myself a couple days ago. Forgot to mention it here.
No udpates yet.
Another check is also by running from any of the node:
fence_rht -a classroom.example.com -o list
==> in normal circumstances, it should have returned the list of the VMs.
By the way, in order not to wait for Redhat, i setup my own lab on my laptop with the fence_vmware_soap driver. It works like a charm.
AT least with that, i can move forward with the course.
The fencing started working on its own, before support got to the bottom of it. Mixed feelings about that, nothing learned.
Thank God, its not just me. I wasted precious 2 days of my lab practice for this execrise to work. I browsed for hours, destroyed lab multiple times. I was almost panicking thinking what can i do if it happens in real exam.
I can finally move on in peace.