Geo
Cadet
Cadet

Video Courses barely work on Linux Desktop (Fixed)

My original post is below... but I am adding this for others who have an issue with the video courses. If you have an issue where the loading icon remains on the video, progress isn't saved and you can't use the video controls, you may need to whitelist a domain in your adblocker. I found that my pihole that used a default set of blacklist was blocking assets.adobedtm.com and this was causing all my headaches. Everything resolved as soon as I whitelisted that one domain. 

Hope this helps other keep from pulling their hair out. 

Spoiler

I have had a Red Hat Learning Subscription for a few months and have been beyond frustrated with trying to use it. I haven't been able to make it through a complete course because of technical issues. I run a desktop linux environment and have installed and reinstalled several different distros without any change in behavior (Debian, Lubuntu, Fedora, Centos).

The issue I am having over and over again is that video courses do not work at all under Firefox, not too big of a deal, just annoying. So I have to install chrome or chromium just to get past the welcome video clip. Once I get a course to start playing, it will not allow me to skip forward or save my progress in the video, including marking the video as completed. To make things worse, I get a permanent loading icon in the middle of the video.

Is there anyone else that has this same issue and found a fix for it? I feel like there has been so much money wasted on this subscription since I can only get the videos to work under Windows, and my only windows machine is a company owned laptop that I would prefer not to use.

As a side note, I also have a subscription to another Linux training website, and all their courses, labs, and everything on their site work without issue on every Linux Distro I have gone through, as well as on Android and tablets.

2 Replies
chrandal
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Video Courses barely work on Linux Desktop (Fixed)

I recently ran into this exact same issue with my Linux and Mac systems while my Windows machine would play the videos properly.  Whitelisting the mentioned domain did not help.  After looking through the query logs in pi-hole, I found whitlisting 79423.analytics.edgekey.net did the trick for me.

0 Kudos
bschonec
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Re: Video Courses barely work on Linux Desktop (Fixed)

I've had good luck with running "Incognito" or "Private Browsing".

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.