Highlighted
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

is bigmem(for leaking memory) used in rh342 available outside the education?

Jump to solution

In RH342 a handy little piece of code to leak memory called bigmem is used.

Is this code available outside of the education?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Re: is bigmem(for leaking memory) used in rh342 available outside the education?

Jump to solution

I hear what you are saying,  tend to build my own vms based of the labs using the same version of RHEL. IMHO Ravello is slow & learn more by creating the problem from scratch.

Link is handy, thanks.,

View solution in original post

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Flight Engineer

Re: is bigmem(for leaking memory) used in rh342 available outside the education?

Jump to solution

HI @Traxtopel

In general, Yes. 

Will

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Jump to solution

Where? I have found other bigmem.c code out there but not what is used in the education.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Jump to solution

Hi @Traxtopel

Per experience, while it is a good thing to learn things through our lab excercises, binaries and/or codes in a controlled environment, there are many other ways to learn just that too, yielding the same objective/s.

When you are totally on your own creating a controlled environment youself and achieving the expected results, you definitely learn more and are at a new level of confidence. <Disclaimer> IMHO </Disclaimer>

On a side note, I did stuy RH442 (Performance Tuning), ??? a deeper course of RH342 ???, years ago in a classroom with Red Hat and of course, I can google and get just about every piece of code or idea I need sorted. <NoteToSelf> The bright side of the Internet </NoteToSelf>

Likewise, for your case, see this below for your reference.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/6e6f6d1b-95c3-46df-8a26-b7efd8ee4b57/entry/detect...

And that is what I meant by "In general, Yes". Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. 

Cheers.
Will

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Jump to solution

I hear what you are saying,  tend to build my own vms based of the labs using the same version of RHEL. IMHO Ravello is slow & learn more by creating the problem from scratch.

Link is handy, thanks.,

View solution in original post

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Jump to solution

Hi @Traxtopel

I agree that Ravello is slow due to GUI Payload Overhead over https.

Having said that, it is one hell of an educational subscritpion that can help you learn so much of Red Hat Technologies (From RHCSA to RHCA).

I see you have two advantages when you have such a subscription:

1. It is better to have a slow lab than no lab at all Smiley Happy

2. You can build your own environment and you can always refer to the lab at will.

There are a few limitations though when doing things from scratch:

One of which is you will need to learn a lot which may be outside of your learning objectives and they are considered a bit of distraction when you have time constraints.

Another is Red Hat's T&Cs and that is a grey area. Smiley Very Happy

Have fun hacking. I am glad I am of some help around here.

Reagards,
Will

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Jump to solution

Typically Red Hat does not make available the materials from within a training class.  For this particular request, it falls into the category of "Why would Red Hat provide an application that will cause a failure of a system?"  Essentially, while it can be handy for forcing an OOM or just locking onto a large amount of memory, if it were to be used on a production system it could wreak havoc.  Imagine that happening and the culprit saying "Well I got this from Red Hat."  Ugh.

Essentially this program is written in C and uses mmap, or associated calls for different allocation types, to allocate the amount of memory passed as an argument on the command line.  (If I recall correctly, it's been a while since I've looked at the source or compiled it.)  The last iteration of the program some command-line switches were added to allow the user to toggle to different calls for the different types of requested memory.  All in all it was like a 20 line program, so if one was so inclined to do so, it shouldn't be horrible to recreate on one's own.

-STM

--
Principle Technical Marketing Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer (100-000-264)
Highlighted
Flight Engineer

Jump to solution

Thank you for all the insightful comments. Dear @Scott

Regards,
Will

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.