Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ksahil
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Umask question?

Jump to solution

Configure umask 033 for all user, users root and Student1 must have their own 022 umaks.

how do you write this answer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

@Ksahil  That's what I mentioned in my answer. For default user setting : it is /etc/profile. 

After that if you need to have a different umask setting for some user , you can edit their respective shell profile files ( .bashrc or bash_profile).

For some 50 users scenario , you would need to have a shell script and use a loop which can change the umask for those 50 users : use for loop to do this : echo "umask umask_value" >> home_dir/.bashrc" for all users in the list. 

Refer : https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/configuring_basic_syst... 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @Ksahil !

Thanks for reaching out!

System wide default umask is set in /etc/profile  directory. That will be effective for all users including root user. ( We also use /etc/login.defs file for setting a default umask value for all new users , however the umask value specified in /etc/profile applies to all users' shell sessions, including existing users.)

If you want to change that for a particular user : edit the respective shell profiles ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile file in their home directory path.

You just have to add the line : "umask 033" in those files.

Ksahil
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hello @Chetan_Tiwary_, Thank you for giving your valuable time to answer it.

I understand your points but how can I answer the question ... solution?

Because "root and Student1 must have their own 022 umaks" and the rest users have "033" permission.

Suppose this I have to do on bulk users in the ratio of 50:50 how can we perform the steps?

(For 50 users we have to keep 022 and other 50 we have to do 033.)

Thank you !!

Chetan_Tiwary_

@Ksahil  That's what I mentioned in my answer. For default user setting : it is /etc/profile. 

After that if you need to have a different umask setting for some user , you can edit their respective shell profile files ( .bashrc or bash_profile).

For some 50 users scenario , you would need to have a shell script and use a loop which can change the umask for those 50 users : use for loop to do this : echo "umask umask_value" >> home_dir/.bashrc" for all users in the list. 

Refer : https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/configuring_basic_syst... 

Ksahil
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hello @Chetan_Tiwary_ , Thank you for giving valuable and answering my question.

Regards, Saahil

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.