cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.3 bare metal install on a laptop?

So my boss wants me spun up on OpenShift asap and wants me to have a functioning bare metal install on my laptop by the end of the week. Essentially I just need a working master and compute node. I've already installed OKD before but that's a cakewalk compared to creating the UPI which I really have no experience with. I've read through the red hat 4.3 bare metal installation docs but I'm still a bit lost on the way I should create my UPI. I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely anxious about this right now and I feel like I'm in far too deep over my head.

Would it make sense to put DNS/HAProxy/DHCP/PXE all on the same VM? I plan on using rhel8 on Virtualbox. Past this point I'm not sure what the next step would be. I know it'll definitely be a ghetto setup but my boss is the kinda guy that likes that learning process.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
alexcorcoles
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Have you looked at CodeReady Containers?

https://developers.redhat.com/products/codeready-containers/overview

It is not bare metal and it is not identical to what a bare metal installation provides, but it's considerably simpler to get running and for some purposes, it will be more useful.

Consider also that the bare metal installation documented requirements:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/openshift_container_platform/4.3/html-single/installin...

, include a temporary bootstrap machine (16 GB RAM), three masters (3x16 = 48 GB RAM) and two workers (2x8 = 16 GB RAM), so 80 GB of RAM. You might be able to squeeze that reasonably into a single laptop, or deviate from the supported requirements to make that fit in your hardware, but that's something that CodeReady Containers already has solved and supports (it is a reduced installation which only requires 8 GB).

cl
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi Alex,

Since of CodeReady Containers version 1.10 : the minimum requirement is 9 GB RAM, although for proper performance a minimum of 12 GB is recommended. Just for your information. :)

Regards,

Christian

alexcorcoles
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Oh, thanks! I thought I'd checked the latest documentation!

0 Kudos
cl
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

You're welcome, Alex ! :)

Regards,

Christian

Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the super valuable information and guidance @cl and @alexcorcoles !

--
Deanna
0 Kudos
cl
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Gladly, Deanna ! :)

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.