Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Container image on the exam

Jump to solution

During the practice myself, I usually run the container image that was given from the questions.

Likewise, am I supposed to be given a specific container image from the question on the exam? 

If yes, just do 'podman run (whatever conf like port, name, bind-mounting) given imagename'?

Another question is that I know it's important to change ownership of directory when mounting container from hostdir to containerdir. For ex, /home/user/mysql:/var/lib/mysql:Z, in this case, the ownership of mysql dir must be appropriately configured. I used podman inspect imagename |grep User so that I can get UID GID. However, the UID of the above command will only show up once container is running. How can I get the proper UID for directory before running container?

Lastly, I'm wondering what exactly these port do in this command 'podman run -p 8080:80 ~~~~'

Thank you!

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Regarding the UID & GID , use "podman image inspect <image-url>  and check under "User" & "History" parameter :

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1690375653098.png

to get UID and GID , run a temporary container with id as shown below : 

Chetan_Tiwary__1-1690375706345.png

********************************************************************************************

Now the second question : PODMAN UNSHARE CHOWN :

podman unshare chown command creates a new user namespace, which is a way of isolating the user ID and group ID of a process from the rest of the system and change the ownership of a directory. 

The UID and GID matching configuration does not occur the same way in a rootless container. In a rootless container, the user has root access from within the container, because Podman launches a container inside the user namespace.

You can use the podman unshare command to run a command inside the user namespace

Understand this with an example :  

You use the podman exec command to view the mysql user UID and GID inside the container (db01 ) that is running with ephemeral storage.

[user@host ~]$ podman exec -it db01 grep mysql /etc/passwd
mysql:x:27:27:MySQL Server:/var/lib/mysql:/sbin/nologin

You decide to mount the /home/user/db_data directory into the db01 container to provide persistent storage on the /var/lib/mysql directory of the container.

You then create the /home/user/db_data directory, and use the podman unshare command to set the user namespace UID and GID of 27 as the owner of the directory.

[user@host ~]$ mkdir /home/user/db_data
[user@host ~]$ podman unshare chown 27:27 /home/user/db_data

Then run the container successfully :

podman run -d --name db01 -e MYSQL....... -v /home/user/db_data:/var/lib/mysql:Z 
registry.lab.example.com/rhel8/mariadb-105

Refer this article for detailed answer : https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/rootless-podman-makes-sense 

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
Chetan_Tiwary_

Yes, The podman run --rm command is used to run a container and automatically remove the container when it exits.

0 Kudos
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

The error is that after I ran the container, I couldn't see the UID

spurs_0-1690764959954.png

Could anyone give a solution?

0 Kudos
tnishiok
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @spurs

I think the "User" field comes from either the "USER" instruction inside of Containerfile/Dockerfile or "podman run --user xxx" option. I guess you are using "docker.io/library/mariadb" then neigher of them will be applied. You may want to try the mariadb-105 image from Red Hat. That Containerfile has specified the USER instruction. 

USER 27

ENTRYPOINT ["container-entrypoint"]
CMD ["run-mysqld"]

Thereby the podman inspect command can retrieve the UID.

shell.jpg

Same for that RH mysql image. The "Get this image" tab will guide you how to pull the image.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @spurs !
Thanks for reaching out !

If you have done enough practice in the labs and have learnt the concepts well - you won't find any difficulties in executing the same thing in the exam as well. 

Next, podman run -p 8080:80.....  is port forwarding mechanism 

-p <host_port>:<container_port>  

means The <host_port> is the port on the host that you want to map to the container. The <container_port> is the port on the container that you want to expose.

if you have a web application running in a container on your local machine, and you want to be able to access it from another machine on your network, you can use the -p flag to map port 8080 on your local machine to port 80 on the container. This way, when you access localhost:8080 from another machine on your network, you will be forwarded to the web application running in the container.

Refer : https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/4.9/nodes/containers/nodes-containers-port-forwarding.... 

Tags (2)
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Cool, thank you so much.

I think I pretty got most topics related to container, but not changing ownership (podman unshare chown).

When exactly do I need to use this command? is it necessary whenever I mount hostdir:containerdir?

Chetan_Tiwary_

Regarding the UID & GID , use "podman image inspect <image-url>  and check under "User" & "History" parameter :

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1690375653098.png

to get UID and GID , run a temporary container with id as shown below : 

Chetan_Tiwary__1-1690375706345.png

********************************************************************************************

Now the second question : PODMAN UNSHARE CHOWN :

podman unshare chown command creates a new user namespace, which is a way of isolating the user ID and group ID of a process from the rest of the system and change the ownership of a directory. 

The UID and GID matching configuration does not occur the same way in a rootless container. In a rootless container, the user has root access from within the container, because Podman launches a container inside the user namespace.

You can use the podman unshare command to run a command inside the user namespace

Understand this with an example :  

You use the podman exec command to view the mysql user UID and GID inside the container (db01 ) that is running with ephemeral storage.

[user@host ~]$ podman exec -it db01 grep mysql /etc/passwd
mysql:x:27:27:MySQL Server:/var/lib/mysql:/sbin/nologin

You decide to mount the /home/user/db_data directory into the db01 container to provide persistent storage on the /var/lib/mysql directory of the container.

You then create the /home/user/db_data directory, and use the podman unshare command to set the user namespace UID and GID of 27 as the owner of the directory.

[user@host ~]$ mkdir /home/user/db_data
[user@host ~]$ podman unshare chown 27:27 /home/user/db_data

Then run the container successfully :

podman run -d --name db01 -e MYSQL....... -v /home/user/db_data:/var/lib/mysql:Z 
registry.lab.example.com/rhel8/mariadb-105

Refer this article for detailed answer : https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/rootless-podman-makes-sense 

Tags (3)
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Great! This is what I wanted to see the UID & GID, container can be temporarily run. 

what's the 'podman run --rm~' in the picture? Is it going to remove the container after run? 

Chetan_Tiwary_

Yes, The podman run --rm command is used to run a container and automatically remove the container when it exits.

0 Kudos
spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you! 

Then, to know UID & GID, I can run podman run --rm > change ownership of dir or file > run container again

Is this correct?

Chetan_Tiwary_

Yes , as I mentioned earlier. 

spurs
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hello! 

I got other errors while I was practising at home.

the first error is [operation not permitted]

spurs_0-1690424586589.png

I know it should be rootless, but still, I tried sudo after seeing the error and didn't work at all.

The second error is that after I ran the container, I couldn't see the UID

spurs_1-1690424731043.png

+I found out that I created /mydb as lisa with using sudo. So the path /home/lisa/mydb didn't show up as well. However, if I don't use sudo as lisa I can't create a directory..

0 Kudos
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @spurs !

As I explained above , dont use grep User , try the command : podman image inspect mysql 

and check under User or History :

Chetan_Tiwary__0-1690805405205.png

for the UID and GID you should run a temporary container with id argument : example like this :

podman run --rm mysql id 

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.