Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suhaib
Cadet
Cadet

Unable to create mysql container using podman

Jump to solution

I keep getting the following error when I run sudo podman run command -

sudo podman run --name mysql-custom \ > -e MYSQL_USER=redhat -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=r3dh4t \ > -d rhmap47/mysql:5.5

unable to pull : error getting registries to try: invalid reference format

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi Suhaib

Yes, this is an issue with the rendering we already saw in the past.

The issue is that:
- There should be a carry return after the `\` sign. This sign indicates the command is not yet complete and continues in the next line.

- The `>`  sign should be rendered as a "continuation prompt", indicating this is not something you should write, but something the terminal is showing.

So, as Alexandre said, please try the command without the `\>` signs.

BTW, what course and version are you finding this? We should have fixed the issue, but maybe we missed a case.

Kind Regards

Jordi Sola

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Alexandre
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

Hi

Are you really type the command this way:

sudo podman run --name mysql-custom \ > -e MYSQL_USER=redhat -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=r3dh4t \ > -d rhmap47/mysql:5.5

Try

sudo podman run --name mysql-custom   -e MYSQL_USER=redhat -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=r3dh4t  -d rhmap47/mysql:5.5

0 Kudos
jordisola
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi Suhaib

Yes, this is an issue with the rendering we already saw in the past.

The issue is that:
- There should be a carry return after the `\` sign. This sign indicates the command is not yet complete and continues in the next line.

- The `>`  sign should be rendered as a "continuation prompt", indicating this is not something you should write, but something the terminal is showing.

So, as Alexandre said, please try the command without the `\>` signs.

BTW, what course and version are you finding this? We should have fixed the issue, but maybe we missed a case.

Kind Regards

Jordi Sola

Suhaib
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks for your kind help. BTW the course version 4.2, that I'm working on is DO180.

0 Kudos
DavidOBrien
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

I'm pretty sure this is in DO180, and I only found one instance of this string (looking at the PDF file.

The actual render is correct, but Jordi is correct: The backslash char (\) means "type \ and press Enter" and the shell provides the > symbol, indicating that the command is still open.

The render is correct in the current build (see attached) so I *expect* yours should display the same way. If not, please let us know.

Thanks very much.

David

Screenshot from 2020-04-04 00-00-41.png

0 Kudos

I'm getting the same thing in DO180 at 1.2 in one of the first guided exercises.

I have entered this in a text editor:

podman run name mysql-basic \
-e MYSQL_USER=user1 -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=mypa55 \
-e MYSQL_DATABASE=items -e MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=r00tpa55 \
-d registry.redhat.io/rhel8/mysql-80:1

When I pasted it into TextPad, it showed that the '-' were some other non-ascii character (probably unicode) - darn browsers!

The fix for this is to manually enter the entire command line and do not copy from the browser. Optionally, you could paste it into a text editor, fix anything you see might be incorrectly pasted, and then copy it into the lab environment.

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.