DO180 v4.12 labs

Jump to solution

The lab start up scripts don't work or if they do, the supporting files are missing, so I can only do part of the labs. Does anyone know who to contact for this problem?

Also, is there an instructor that we can ask questions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Today is a new day, everything is shut down:

rachaelmoore_0-1696605204721.png

I start it up and then immediately attempt to run the script for a random lab I picked and get the following:

rachaelmoore_1-1696605263426.png

When I look for the supporting files, they don't exist in the path that is being complained about.  Someone used the terminology destroy, so I stopped the entire lab and then deleted it.  I then created it again and while it was started attempted the same lab again.  It was  stuck in a 'Verifying cluster state'  for a long, long time but eventually came up and I was able to start/delete, so it seems to be working now.  I tried another lab and that is working too.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
laurpaum
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Have you tried destroying the lab environment and recreating it? I have occasionally had issues with lab environments which were all resolved after recreating them.

0 Kudos
Yes, every day I have to restart the labs since they expire automatically after 12 hours, the max I could configure. I'll recheck the settings though.

Juniper Business Use Only
0 Kudos
alexcorcoles
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

The labs are supposed to work well after they are shut down for the day, and you start them at the following day. (We work in this way when developing the courses.) It's been a while since I've seen an issue with restarting the labs, but I guess they are possible. Those are rare, and you should be able to solve them by recreating the lab.

There can be hiccups with the lab scripts, but they should also be rare, and reprovisioning tends to be a quick fix.

If you have persistent issues, you can use the "feedback" button at the top of the ROL pages, or you can open a support ticket- the support team have access to your lab environment and see what's happening.

As for instructors, you can enroll for courses with instructors. There's also this forum where students, instructors, and course authors can try and help too.

Today is a new day, everything is shut down:

rachaelmoore_0-1696605204721.png

I start it up and then immediately attempt to run the script for a random lab I picked and get the following:

rachaelmoore_1-1696605263426.png

When I look for the supporting files, they don't exist in the path that is being complained about.  Someone used the terminology destroy, so I stopped the entire lab and then deleted it.  I then created it again and while it was started attempted the same lab again.  It was  stuck in a 'Verifying cluster state'  for a long, long time but eventually came up and I was able to start/delete, so it seems to be working now.  I tried another lab and that is working too.

alexcorcoles
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

DO180 is supposed to install the lab scripts when workstation boots. Your screenshot shows that is not happening in that environment.

The following result you had is way more normal. OpenShift labs require the cluster to settle, and that takes... IIRC, 15 minutes or less on DO180 4.12 (doing a test now to see if I'm way off mark). OCP clusters are complex systems with many moving pieces, and in general, most environments do not restart their clusters frequently like it happens on labs, so work focuses on other areas.

In general, I'd say that as with any other system, labs sometimes have hiccups. Environments are disposable, so in general I'd recommend reprovisioning as a quick fix. With OpenShift labs, I'd try to start the lab at least ~15 minutes before starting to work on it. Ideally, like other labs, startup times would be faster, but in the meantime, just playing a bit with starting the environment before breakfast can help.

(Once your lab is up, the cluster is verified, and lab start scripts work... then problems should be even rarer, if that helps...)

Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @rachaelmoore !

Thanks for reaching out !

1. When you start your labs - donot immediately run any lab start scripts.
  2. Wait for the OSP cluster to be ready to accept your requests. It takes 20-30 mins to get ready. You can ssh to "utility" server as "lab" user and run ./wait.sh  to check the cluster readiness. 
  3. When your cluster is showing ready - then you can go back to workstation and you can run the lab start script.
  4. Recreating a new lab is always recommended ( quickest fix ) before you log a support case to us for help. 
  5. Anyways you can log a support case and we will help you. 
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.