Chapter-RHACS integration. About 1000 identification in /run/user/1000/containers/auth.json

Jump to solution

HEllo people

Running through the guided lab of chpater RHACS integration (Ch9. Section2), i come accross with s doubt.

In 4.3, it states Review the /run/user/1000/containers/auth.json file. The JSON file contains authentication details for central-quay-registry.apps.ocp4.example.com registry.

Why is that 1000 identifier?  why that number and not other different?  is it on purpose?

Thx n Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @javierbarea !

pam_systemd daemon creates /run/user/$uid directory for every logged in user which is used for storing running processes’ files for that user.

Typically, Linux starts creating "normal" users at UID 1000. So a user with UID 1000 is probably the first user ever created on that particular system (beside root, who always has UID 0). I think this is as per security best practice !

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Chetan_Tiwary_

Hello @javierbarea !

pam_systemd daemon creates /run/user/$uid directory for every logged in user which is used for storing running processes’ files for that user.

Typically, Linux starts creating "normal" users at UID 1000. So a user with UID 1000 is probably the first user ever created on that particular system (beside root, who always has UID 0). I think this is as per security best practice !

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.