cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flozano

Preferred editor or IDE for development work

Inspired by this discussion in the automation community:
https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Automation-Management-Ansible/Besides-CLI-editors-what-are-you-using/m-p...

Which is your preferred code editor or IDE for doing development work? Maybe you have differenct choices deppending on the programming language, framework, project duration, team size, workation OS, or target runtime.?

I see most enterprise shops want a heavy weight IDE such as JBoss Developer Studio, Oracle Developer, and InteliJ. But most 'cool' developers seem to prefer a light-weight editor such as Atom.

What's your take?

11 Replies
Proksch
Cadet
Cadet

I still prefer vi from the command line, but I am starting to warm to Eclipse Che running in OpenShift.  I'm also starting to like Visual Studio, but old habits are really really really (did I mention really?) hard to break.

Seii
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

I still prefer Eclipse, even with all its rough edges. Java is my primary language, and code-completion is still a hard feature to come by unless an IDE is relatively large.

EchoCharlie
Flight Engineer

Atom was sucking too many resources, I switched over to Visual Studio Code. It's MS, but it's something they've done well.

MC
Cadet
Cadet

Visual Studio Code is my go to IDE now for everything. It does all the languages I work with well. Being a Windows and Linux Administrator.
Michael
Flight Engineer

I don't do a lot of development work, but while learning Python I've found pycharm to be a robust and helpful IDE. Other than that, I'm old school like Proksch and use vi.

MICHAEL BAKER
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, IT MAIL SERVICES
Red Hat
TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED.
micjohns
Cadet
Cadet

Yes, I'm the same as @Proksch. For my development environment at Red Hat, vim is easiest to use as I'm using Linux to pop in and out of files. Otherwise, I've had a lot of great experiences with Visual Studio.

Kermit
Cadet
Cadet

I do work in both Windows and Linux, so the editors I prefer are supported in both OSes.  I love PyCharm for working in Python, and Sublime Text for most everything else (YAML syntax highlighting is becoming a requirement)  I do like notepad++, although I wish it was a bit more robust, and had better support on Linux.  Of course there are times when I have to fall back to vi, but setting up the advanced vi environment for different tasks can be a hassle.

sharkoslinux
Flight Engineer

I am a huge fan of the JetBrains family of IDE's.  I primarily write in Ruby, and use RubyMine.  It has amazing features that helps to quicken the development pace and reduce errors.  IntelliJ is also a member of the JetBrains family and offers support for Python, Ruby and many others via Plugins. These tools do come with a price, so they may not be for everyone. 

Some programming languages have their own that ships with an IDE. Lazarus for the FPC compiler is really well-integrated and provides a rich experience to develop GUI and CLI applications.  It also provides a form editor to layout your graphical elements and provides a RAD experience. Purebasic is similar, with both IDE's supporting multiple platforms with a single codebase. Obviously, these are not generic editors, but powerful.

For a free linux editor that is not tied to any specific language, I really like Kate which ships as part of KDE.  Visual Studio Code is surprisingly good and is also cross-platform and free.

Bodanel
Flight Engineer

For Python I use Pycharm and I like it. Tried Atom some time ago but It crashed several time during some on-call incindents and dismissed it.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.