Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Undive
Cadet
Cadet

EX200 New objectives: Containers

Jump to solution

Hi,

As stated in the new objectives, the last one is Attach persistent storage to a container.

Could anyone please point to any resource explaining how to perform it?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ricardodacosta

It's covered in the RHCSA650 course but if you don't have access to it you can learn more at http://docs.podman.io/en/latest/markdown/podman-run.1.html?highlight=volume%20mount#mounting-externa... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ricardodacosta

It's covered in the RHCSA650 course but if you don't have access to it you can learn more at http://docs.podman.io/en/latest/markdown/podman-run.1.html?highlight=volume%20mount#mounting-externa... 

0 Kudos
Undive
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks for your kind reply and for the link @ricardodacosta

May be it would be nice to include a couple of examples in the official documentation attending that this is a required objective for EX200.

The reason I don't have access to that course would be another interesting issue to be discussed in the right thread. Anyway, beyond thanking your time, I'd like to confirm the procedure for non-root containers in case someone could need it.

I found two working approaches. Both of them presume having the requested volume mounted in a folder owned by the non-root user owner of the container, with o+w permissions:

Mount:

This approach require three steps, two if you don't want to create a policy but just relabel the context directly in the fs.

$ podman create --d --name nonroot-cont-name -p 8080:80 --mount type=bind,src=/mnt/point,target=/dest/point <RG/NS/N>

# semanage fcontext -a -t svirt_sandbox_file_t "/mnt/point(/.*)?"

# restorecon -Rv /mnt/point

NOTE: At the end of the relabeling process the actual context will be container_file_t.

Volume

This approach only required one step as the relabeling in this case is on account of podman due to the 3rd field (z if the resource is intended to be shared by two or more containers, Z just for this one making it private):

$ podman create --d --name nonroot-cont-name -p 8080:80 -v /mnt/point:/dest/point:z <RG/NS/N>

NOTE: As suggested by the documentation, the use of a volume name and not the path is recommended as in some cases it can be marked as an orphan and wiped if pruned.

Final Thoughts:

1. I wonder if both, one or none of the solutions would be accepted in EX200 as described here.

2. I don't quite feel the diference between using volumes instead of bind mounting from an operational PoV.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.