cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home lab

Jump to solution

I would like to prepare a home lab after the course.  How to make the lab as mentioend like in the course labbook? 

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

If you talking about the RH124, RH134, RH254, or RH294, this isn't going to happen. There is content in the training environment that you can't get access to in a home lab arrangement. I suspect other training courses are the same way.

If you are studying for an RHCSA or RHCE, you can try a third party training resrouce. Michael Jang has a book that explains how to set up a home lab using virtual machines. (This is for RHEL 7)

What I did was to look at the published objectives as set up a lab as best as I could to match them. There were a few things I couldn't, or didn't want to, do - like keys and/or certificates (admittedly, for these items, I had access to an online training environment). Personally, I found that doing it this way really helped learn the material. It also helped me learn different ways to do things and, even more importantly, how to verify my work.

I also used the objectives to develop my own deliverables predicated upon what is taught in the coursework.

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College

View solution in original post

Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

I used a pair of CentOS 7 virtual machines. One has to be careful, though.

The version of RHEL in the classroom environment is 7.0. The version of CentOS (now) is 7.7. I did my studying on 7.3 and 7.5

Examples as to why you have to be careful:

This command works just fine in 7.3+ -- it does not work in 7.0:

nmcli con add con-name Testing type ethernet autoconnect no ifname eth0 ip4 10.0.0.1/24 gw4 10.0.0.254 ipv4.dns 8.8.8.8 +ipv4.dns 8.8.4.4

In 7.0 it generates an error message (concerning the ipv4.dns parts).

Also, in 7.0, if you right-click open a terminal from the GNOME desktop you get ~/Desktop/. If you do this in 7.3+ you get ~/

Even the systemctl status <service> output can look slightly different.

What this told me is that I have to be careful and follow the instructions and examples given for the 7.0 environment - that if I got too used to doing things a certain way in 7.3+ that I could cause errors that need correcting, meaning a loss of time.

And, as we all, know, time is of the essence on the exam.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

If you talking about the RH124, RH134, RH254, or RH294, this isn't going to happen. There is content in the training environment that you can't get access to in a home lab arrangement. I suspect other training courses are the same way.

If you are studying for an RHCSA or RHCE, you can try a third party training resrouce. Michael Jang has a book that explains how to set up a home lab using virtual machines. (This is for RHEL 7)

What I did was to look at the published objectives as set up a lab as best as I could to match them. There were a few things I couldn't, or didn't want to, do - like keys and/or certificates (admittedly, for these items, I had access to an online training environment). Personally, I found that doing it this way really helped learn the material. It also helped me learn different ways to do things and, even more importantly, how to verify my work.

I also used the objectives to develop my own deliverables predicated upon what is taught in the coursework.

Lisenet
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@Tracy_Baker "There is content in the training environment that you can't get access to in a home lab arrangement."

Out of curiosity, what content in the training environment are you referring to? I'm asking because I've done several exam preparations (including clustering, Satellite and OpenShift) where I was able to replicate the lab environment at home without issues. From my experience, pretty much everything they use in the training environment can be set up at home.

Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

A few examples:

Specific RH124/134 (RHCSA) things would be IPA or LDAP servers, Kerberos keytab files, and more. For RH254 (RHEL 7 RCHE), you'd not have certificate files and keys for Apache.

That's not to say that you can't set up your own home lab to have these things -- you can. However, if a person has just finished the courses I've mentioned above, the knowledge / skill required to do so exceeds what was taught in the classes.

Lisenet
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

@Tracy_Baker 

The things that you've mentioned can be set up in a homelab env. I agree however that it would require skills to do so for somebody who's just finished the course and doesn't have relevant experience.

(admittedly, for these items, I had access to an online training environment)
Tracy, what online training environment did you have?  

0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

I used a pair of CentOS 7 virtual machines. One has to be careful, though.

The version of RHEL in the classroom environment is 7.0. The version of CentOS (now) is 7.7. I did my studying on 7.3 and 7.5

Examples as to why you have to be careful:

This command works just fine in 7.3+ -- it does not work in 7.0:

nmcli con add con-name Testing type ethernet autoconnect no ifname eth0 ip4 10.0.0.1/24 gw4 10.0.0.254 ipv4.dns 8.8.8.8 +ipv4.dns 8.8.4.4

In 7.0 it generates an error message (concerning the ipv4.dns parts).

Also, in 7.0, if you right-click open a terminal from the GNOME desktop you get ~/Desktop/. If you do this in 7.3+ you get ~/

Even the systemctl status <service> output can look slightly different.

What this told me is that I have to be careful and follow the instructions and examples given for the 7.0 environment - that if I got too used to doing things a certain way in 7.3+ that I could cause errors that need correcting, meaning a loss of time.

And, as we all, know, time is of the essence on the exam.

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.