cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
Matt7
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

You should re-read what they said. the external camera is mandatory, which is what I said. No matter if you have a desktop or laptop, you have to have an external camera.

I had issues with the compability test on my laptop as well, but it seems to work ok during the exam (I tested 3 different machines prior). That part sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt.

JS_Learning

Hi @PraveenMishra,

Sorry to hear about your confusion.

Have you read the reference document?

It is clearly saying: " Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable."

Source:

https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Certification-Resources/Getting-Ready-for-your-Red-Hat-Remote-Exam/ba-p/... 

I hope that clarifies,

0 Kudos
PraveenMishra
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi,

Everything was understood and clear until I read these lines: https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Certification-Resources/Getting-Ready-for-your-Red-Hat-Remote-Exam/bc-p/....

I am confused because, If one external webcam is medatory, why my compatibility check passed even though there was no external webcam connected(only laptop inbuilt was being used). I think the compatibility tester should look for two cameras(one inbuild and one external) on a laptop and one camera on a desktop (the external one). Let me know if I got this right.

Thank you for clarification.

Matt7
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

It did check for two cameras on the laptops i tested with, so not sure why its not for you. Although you need to be able to move the camera around the room, so it has to be external for that reason.

0 Kudos
shefeeqyr

@PraveenMishra @Matt7 

I can add some clarity to the discussion at https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Certification-Resources/Getting-Ready-for-your-Red-Hat-Remote-Exam/bc-p/...

The updated compatibility tester looks for the presence of one webcam now. However, the test that is run on the full-screen browser cannot differentiate between an external and internal camera unfortunately. What this means is, if you have one webcam - even if it is just the integrated webcam, the 'Hardware' section of the compatibility test detecting a working camera will pass. This test is denoted by a statement "You must have the correct number of Camera(s) and Microphone(s)" You will still need an external camera nevertheless.

In the next page (Streaming - Video quality is acceptable), you will be able to see feeds from both cameras if the external webcam is detected. If that test passes, it's an indicator that the external webcam works fine with the image and it's safe to proceed.

Soon we will add a checklist in the compatibility test that allows candidates to confirm the presence of certain hardware elements and behaviors during the test. This is aimed at complementing the compatibility test to increase it's accuracy.

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

PraveenMishra
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi,

I thought this could be the case. Anyways, two cameras for a laptop makes sense. like @Matt7 pointed out. Thank you for the clarification and your help.

Matt7
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

For me when i was testing on the laptop, it detected two cameras when I had the external, but it only showed one camera (the little video). It also said I needed to 2 cameras when I was using the laptop.

The desktop did not require two cameras and said I was good to go with just 1 camera.

I now have 2 external cameras though and i tested that on my desktop and it was only showing one camera video and when I retested it again, it picked up the second camera. So, it's just super flaky and sometimes its ok, sometimes it is not.

On my laptop MacBook Pro 2019:

Did not recognize internal devices:

- sound

- microphone

- trackpad

- keyboard

- wireless network

JS_Learning

Hi @KleberCabral 

Thanks for your feedback!

It seems other have had the same experience as you:

At the time, the suggestion was: "Using a different hardware altogether or connecting an external wired keyboard, mouse and monitor are the alternatives (provided you have the necessary port replicators). "

Source:

https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Certification-Resources/Getting-Ready-for-your-Red-Hat-Remote-Exam/bc-p/... 

@shefeeqyr Any update on MacBook Pro 2019?

Cheers,

0 Kudos

Hi @JS_Learning, @shefeeqyr,

I'm facing the same issue as KleberCabral with my corporate Macbook Pro Serie 2019. The Keyboard and Trackpad are not responding in any mode (exam, test, recovery).

"After booting to the RE Image, were you able to click 'ok' or hit 'enter' at the "Welcome to Red Hat Remote Exams - Click OK to configure your keyboard layout" screen? "
From this screen, my pointer is in the bottom right corner and not responding.
I cannot use the keyboard (ESC, enter, arrows, ...) to validate the Welcome message.

And unfortunately, I don't have any spare USB ports available to plug an external keyboard or mouse. Last Macbook pro series comes with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapters only. I have a USB-C network adapter to plug a network cable, and a USB-C adapter to plug the USB image.

In addition, I even tried to get into a single boot mode from the grub. But in fact, I cannot send the Ctrl+x signal to start from the modified grub. Ctrl+c is working using the Control+Command+c keys.

I used the RHEL-20200630 image to build my USB device. Is there any newer version?

Furthermore, please be aware that the last Mac series includes a T2 security chip to avoid external device boot. You may have to include a link to the Apple support article to explain how to modify the secure boot.

Booting on the Fedora USB image requires the following option to be selected:

- No security

- Allow booting from external media

In my case, I also had to select the right-hand EFI boot image from the device list to get to the menu, the left one was redirecting to the Macbook utility "Startup Manager"

Waiting to hear from you soon about a fix for Macbook Pro Series 2019.

Cheers,

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.