cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi,

I have surface laptop 2, kindly advice please.

Have already moved my exam to friday now.

enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Is there a support # I can call and resolve over the phone please

pls check the attached screenshot for your quick referenceravee_redhat_remote_exam_pwd_enter_issue.png

enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi @JS_Learning,  what is your advice pls? can we esclate this support query? Should I reschedule my exam?

shefeeqyr

Hi @enthuguy,

The keyboard of a Surface 2 laptop is essentially a wireless device. It is not similar to a USB keyboard or an inbuilt keyboard of other laptops. It's function is more towards converting an otherwise tablet to a full fledged laptop as far as I understand, though my knowledge about them is very limited.

Wireless/Bluetooth accessories will not work with the Remote Exam image. Hence you may need to arrange a computer that meets the basic requirements as listed in https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Certification-Resources/Getting-Ready-for-your-Red-Hat-Remote-Exam/ba-p/...

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

0 Kudos
enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thanks @shefeeqyr ,

But are we sure, surface 2 laptop is sort of wireless? because I cannot detach my screen from the base. I can only fold and unfold :)

However, I went throught the documentation. looks like I need to use wired keyboard, mouse with lid closed, if I continue to use this surface 2 laptop. Is this correcct pls?

Since I dont have a spare laptop, let me see if I have wired keyboard and mouse. if not, I need to buy these two (have already bought external webcam). 

Thanks for your prompt advise

JS_Learning

Hi @enthuguy @shefeeqyr ,

It seems most of Surface equipment are some sort of glorified tablets, usually with a bluetooth/wireless keyboard type. It seems that Surface 2 laptop is a bit different as it appears to be connected a little bit.

See this unmounting video, we can see some sort of connection (which could be only for power, we don't know):

At this point in time, I think it's best you try to get an external wired keyboard and external wired mouse. Or better, use another computer which fits the requirements.

You can be creative and borrow it from someone if that helps.

We gave your feedback to the team in charge of the Remote Exams iso. For now it's best to find a workaround for you.

Best of luck for your exam, in advance!

shefeeqyr

Thanks for this tip @JS_Learning

@enthuguy - Using a wired keyboard and mouse will also need an external monitor, just to be clear. So, you may have to arrange for all these things, plus a Webcam and a USB Drive that are necessary anyway.

I am not entirely certain about the keyboard type of Surface 2 laptops. However, if it is not detected at booting, it's typically indicative of either a wireless connection or a firmware setting that prevents initiation of keyboard at start up. I couldn't find anything conclusive from Microsoft articles though there are third party portals indicating how one can enable a keyboard while booting to a different drive. 

The best option would be to try a different laptop that works straightaway nevertheless.

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

0 Kudos
enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thanks @shefeeqyr  @JS_Learning ,

Will try to borrow.

One last confirmation please. Can I attend the exam wih wireless internet or wired internet? Kindly please confirm.

I was trying with wireless internet as well :)

thanks,

ravee

shefeeqyr

Hello,

Wireless internet can be used if the remote exam image detects your wifi adapter and allows you to connect by entering the route password. We always caution candidates about potential performance impact with wireless connections though. 

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

enthuguy
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

HI @shefeeqyr  @JS_Learning 

Yesterday, have managed to performe Test Compatability checks with my

1. Surface 2 Laptop

2. Wired Keyboard

3 Wired Mouse

4. External Webcam

5. Wired Internet

All my check passed except "Media Server Connection" attached for reference.  I rebooted few times with USB ISO again all passed including external webcam video. However, media server failed. 

Could you kindly confirm, how to resolve this please? I have now rescheduled my exam to tuesday now.

Please help asapredhat_media_server_check.png

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.