cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 211K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
mjperrins
Cadet
Cadet

Hi, quick quesiton and apologies if this has been raised before , I am an IBMer with an IBM issued Mac Book Pro , we have a security policy that blocks the use of the USB port , is there another model for configuring the Certification ISO ? can we build a Virtual Box instance ? or does it require the OS boot to be native on the laptop ?

Thanks

Matt Perrins

0 Kudos
JS_Learning

Hi @mjperrins ,

The only accepted method is to boot from the secured live usb environment for the Remote Exams.

There is still the possibility to go to a training center and use the Kiosk environment...

In your case, if you intend to do the Remote Exam live usb, then you need to choose another computer. Preferrably not a professional one which can have additional security restrictions preventing you to boot on USB :)

Cheers,

mjperrins
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks for the clarification, I have since found out there is an exception process in IBM which I am testing out. Will post this link if other IBMers are asking the same question, worst case scenario will boot this up on my Sons gaming PC :-) 

https://w3.ibm.com/help/#/article/usb_drive_risk_reduction/udrr_ae?requestedTopicId=udrr_ae

Thanks again

Matt Perrins

0 Kudos
jredman
Cadet
Cadet

Is the 90 degree field of view still a requirement or is it just an external webcam with 1m cable?  What resolution is required, if any?

I have a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX that is a bit older and is failing the hardware test on the iso. I've tried increasing the lighting in the room, creating some motion for the camera, etc. with no joy on passing this section of the hardware test. 

Amazon shows this as being 480p and 42 degrees:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-961464-0403-QuickCam-Communicate-STX/dp/B000GP845M

0 Kudos
shefeeqyr

Hello @jredman,

The requirement is simplified now and hence only one external webcam with about a meter of cable length is expected. Nevertheless, lack of clarity and field of vision can be a limiting factor. If you are using this with a desktop computer and monitor as the only source of video feeds, then 480p with a narrow field of vision may hamper the Proctor's ability to monitor the exam.

Would you be using this Webcam along with a laptop that already has an integrated webcam instead?

If the answer is yes, then try running the remote exam compatibility test and ensure that both integrated webcam and external webcam are sending feeds. Seeing a video feed from both cameras during the test is important as the compatibility test looks for the presence of only one webcam and it can throw a false success message by detecting the integrated webcam.

In the above setup where If both your integrated webcam and one external webcam are sending feeds, then that can be used to compensate for the reduced field of vision of the external webcam. It's a matter of positioning the laptop screen and webcam in a way that let's the Proctor cover an acceptable view of your surroundings.

Another important factor: The Proctor should be able to read the text in your ID card for initial verification. We have noticed that some external webcams and laptop's integrated webcams fail to adjust their focus automatically to make ID card texts readable. A practical way to test this would be to use the webcam in your laptop's operating system, open a camera application or webconferencing client, turn on self-view, hold the id card close to the camera and check if you can read the contents. In the case of both integrated and external cameras detected in the compatibility test, a clear view of your ID from either of the cameras will be acceptable.

Hope these suggestions help. 

Regards,

Shefeeq

jredman
Cadet
Cadet

Hi, yes the external camera will be used in conjunction with a T580 with a built-in webcam.  

Thank you for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
Sam_Akpan
Cadet
Cadet

Hello Everyone,

I have been studying and preparing for the RedHat EX200 Based on Rhel 7 and about 3 weeks ago scheduled to take the remote exam when it was made available because all the testing centers around me were all closed and not available for in center testing. 

So on the day of my remote exam i logged in 5 minutes early and did all the required checks with the proctor and the exam started but about 30mins into the exam there was a power outage due to the fires in California and lost my network. The power later came back on but i didnt want to take the chance so i asked to reschedule and i was able to reschedule.

The second attempt at remote exam and this time my network kept flunctuating and being unstable even though everything passed during the compatibility test. Again, thankfully the Redhat team were really helpful with helping me reschedule.

So with all my experience with remote testing i decided to see if the centers are not accepting in person exams and waaalaaaaaah! i found an appointment but its not till October 6th. My only concern is that on the RedHat website it says that Exams based on Redhat 7 will be available until October 1, 2020.

Rhel7.PNG

Now i am concerned i will have to learn Rhel8. Will the objectives change as well?

Will i still be able to take the Exam based on Rhel 7 since that is what i scheduled?

Please help with any information.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi @Sam_Akpan ,

The date mentioned in the website refers to the last date the EX200 REHL 7 exam will be available for purchase. If you have already purchased the exam and have an exam voucher, it is valid for one year from the date of purchase and can be scheduled and taken at any point prior to its expiration.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Yusuke_Y
Cadet
Cadet

Hi I want to take exams in Japan by remote. I scheduled an exam last week.

Then I want to take another exam. But now, my Red Hat Exam Scheduler shows there is no available schedule.

Why there is no available schedule? If there any action I must do?

0 Kudos
vishals

Hi @Yusuke_Y ,

There seems to be greater demand for exams recently and slots for the next few days may have already been occupied. 
Please see to this comment for details - https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Questions-about-getting-ready-for-your-Red-Hat-remote-exam/m-p/1...

Best Regards,

Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.