cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 213K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies
Walid
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you @Gineesh 

~ Walid - Red Hat Accelerator, DevOps Janitor
0 Kudos
Gineesh
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

My pleasure. Please share if this is still good and able to proceed.
Maybe some of the moderators can advise if this is okay to proceed :)

*Gineesh*
linkedin.com/in/gineesh
0 Kudos
vishals

Hi @Walid , @Gineesh ,

Yes, the older 2020-08 iso can still be used.
We are still working on a newer image version but its taking longer to get it secure boot compliant.

Regards

0 Kudos
Gineesh
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you, noted --

Gineesh

linkedin.com/in/gineesh
Walid
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

I just went with an old Linux laptop, the exam specs are not high, and had a good experience with the exam interactivity. 

~ Walid - Red Hat Accelerator, DevOps Janitor
Jim_Tampa
Cadet
Cadet

Hi Team!  I am taking a remote exam for the first time tomorrow.  I was very convinced the rhexam would fail, there are several moving parts, USB boot, USB hub, Camera, mic etc...  went great tho!  10 mins from boot to finishing the compatiblity test.  Your docs were very thorough and the whole process went great!

It even found my wireless nic, top of the list

Now, bring on the test!  :)

vishals

Good luck with your exam!

74razor
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Yesterday I took the PE124, preliminary exam for the RHCSA EX200 exam. This morning I found out I failed it. I can take a failure, but the experience wasn't the best. The one thing I took from it was the exam format and how to navigate around. However, I didn't have to boot to the USB Live environment. In a browser, I went to the exam and click a red Start Exam button. This must be different from the actual exam. 

Anyway, I used Sanders and Asghar Ghori's certification guides. For months, I spent hours daily doing labs. I feel very confident with NFS, resetting the root password, firewall-cmd, SELinux, containers, autofs, storage with LVM/Stratis/VDO... and I read in reviews of those guides that if you can do all the labs in those books that you are ready for the EX200 exam. Since I can do all that work without looking up the process and feel confident in my skills I thought I'd take PE124 to see how I do. 

The failure wasn't that bad, but it was how I failed. There was nothing that I studied on the preliminary exam. 2-3 of the questions were worded in such a way that I was very confused on what needed to actually be done. Not only that, but one question made NO sense at all. I am going to lookup in my guides more on the topic of that question to see if I might have missed something. I don't want to say what the question was in case there is an NDA. 

I guess I just feel defeated right now and confused. Is the preliminary exam that much different than the actual exam? I really put in the time to learn this material so to take an exam and be caught off guard like that... well, I'm not sure what to think. 

0 Kudos
vishals

Hey @74razor ,

It's completely normal to feel that way. All Red Hat certification exams I attempted were rather difficult due to the time limit, especially my first exam. It takes time to get used to it. So do not worry, you are not alone.

Did you review the objectives of the PE124 exam before attempting it? I have taken the exam and the objectives cover all the exam topics.

Anyway, I used Sanders and Asghar Ghori's certification guides. For months, I spent hours daily doing labs. 

Others might disagree, but my problem with these courses is that they coach you to pass the exam instead of teaching. The entire content and labs are designed to help you earn that particular certification only. So, I believe you would have done much better on the actual EX200 exam.

Don't lose hope. Keep practicing and I'm sure you will do well in the next exam!

Cheers,

74razor
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Thank you @vishals , appreciate that. I'll keep working at it and book the EX200.

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.