cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deanna
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 214K Views

Questions about getting ready for your Red Hat remote exam?

This thread is dedicated to connect you with Red Hat subject matter experts who can help answer your questions regarding Red Hat remote exams. Please see the following resources for Red Hat Remote Exams below:

For questions on scheduling or redeeming your exams,  please use the Red Hat Certification team comment form here. 

**Our subject matters experts in the Red Hat Learning Community will not be assisting with tasks related to scheduling exams. 

Deanna L
--
Deanna
Labels (3)
1,308 Replies

Hello @Deanna 

I have the same problem, it does not recognize the built-in microphone of my computer, can I use a USB microphone?

Or a videoconferencing equipment (audio and microphone) via USB?

Mostafa1
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Based on what I know, you can use a USB microphone but you may need a USB
hub in case you do not have enough USB ports.
For Video Conference equipment, I think you can use and if you will use its
Camera, then the Camera should not be fixed so that you can do the room
scan.
vishals

Hi @Tim_757 ,

I'll quote the comment from an earlier discussion on wireless connections - https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Questions-about-getting-ready-for-your-Red-Hat-remote-exam/m-p/1...

Wireless connection: We strongly recommend a wired connection for better stability. Wireless is not prohibited perse, however it is considered as a second choice due to many variables that can impact wireless performance. I would login to the wireless router and block any other device accessing the internet at the time of my exam. Or simply tell other users to pause the usage during that timeframe.

Personally, I was also in the same boat as you and had no choice but to use a wireless connection for my remote exam. My own experience on WiFi was positive and I did not encounter any network/connection errors for the entire duration of the exam.

Regards,

0 Kudos
charith1994
Flight Engineer Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

I have only my government issue national identity card which is not in English language.so I choose the that option when I scheduleing my remote exam. But when I proceed to the exam proctor said he need a english version to prove my identity.due to the connection issues I couldn't do the exam.But how could I prove my identity cosidering I don't have any government issue english language identity method(passport or driving license).what alternative redhat can offer me to considering my situation .

0 Kudos
vishals

@charith1994 

Hi there,

The scheduler application is supposed to prompt for countries with non-English ID for pre-approval. I would recommend raising a ticket with the support team to get this sorted.

Source: https://learn.redhat.com/t5/General/Questions-about-getting-ready-for-your-Red-Hat-remote-exam/m-p/1...

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
bigman
Cadet
Cadet

Hi Guys, 

From my experience, once your wifi pipe is big enough , you should be fine with/ without a cable.  Preparing for the test is hard enough so you don't want to start stressing about extra hardware. Do your compatibility checks many times before the exam date with all the required hardware. I did the compatibility tests without the external webcam and they passed. After getting the webcam, the sound test started failing even though the system showed images from both webcams. This happened because the external webcam also has an integrated mic so the sound test was using the webcam for both picture and sound test. Its always necessary to have your full setup tested before the exam. 

The ideal setup will be an embedded webcam in your laptop showing your face and an external webcam that can show you and the surroundings of your room. Think of it like a TV News Studios where you have more than 1 camera showing the presenter in various angles. The proctor is the producer and wants to have Camera 1 and Camera 2 angle views while you are the Newscaster :-). In case you are interested, heres an external webcam I used   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MK2LB66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PiotrS
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Hi

I just tested my environment and had one failed test - microphone.

I have no idea why it's not working - I tried micrphone from my Logitech C920 camera, Logitech headset H390 and Razer headphones with microphone. But still exam test software shows an error - "Microphone volume is too low".

Is the microphone required for remote exam? I will have door closed so no one can enter my room, and as far as I remember there was no such requirement when I had exam in exam center/kiosk exam.

Another question related to RH294 - who should I contact regarding my exam? I don't want to ask these questions in public because of NDA and I'd like to ask someone about few things related to this exam.

Thank you

Piotr

0 Kudos
shefeeqyr

Hello,

Since USB headphones are not allowed during remote exams, you will need to use a webcam with integrated mic. I am using a Logitech C920 HD myself and it's working pretty well with the compatibility test in terms of micropohone volume and video quality.

Please remove all other headphones while testing so that the input source selected is of C920. The settings could look like the attached image, except that I was using a laptop vs desktop.

Mic is necessary for Proctors to monitor  your environment. Testing center setup does capture audio in addition to video.

For questions around EX294,  you can raise a ticket at this link

Best Regards,

Shefeeq

20200819_013546.jpg

0 Kudos
bigman
Cadet
Cadet

Hi, From my own experience which is shown above, the computer is using the Mic of the external webcams. When you get to the part that allows you to select the Wifi access Point, Go to Sound and then change the Sound Input into the internal mic of your laptop. That way, the test will be done using the Internal mic instead of the external ones. 

0 Kudos
PiotrS
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Well - I had no option to check the mic volume on bootable exam ISO. Even Firefox icon (orange one) showed that mic and camera are allowed temporarily (window was visible for 0.1sec) and I couldn't change any of the settings.

Well - let's wait for official response from RH - I tested 3 devices that are working on my Fedora 32 desktop and Windows 10 so I hope that mic will not be required :-)

And I'm not using laptop but desktop PC - my laptop has too small screen and I think 25" QHD should be a good display for an exam. In my exam history I suffered from low resolutions on desktops or laptops - 2560x1440 will be a nice change :)

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.