cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHCSA8 & RHCE9

Jump to solution

I'm going to take RHCSA8 next week, but RHCE9 is here, Can I go for the RHCE in RHEL9 or would I need to first get RHCSA 9 Certification?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

As long as your RHCSA certificate is active, it doesn't matter which version you sat it on in order to get the RHCE.  So yes, you can get an RHCSA using RHEL8, and certify as RHCE testing on RHEL9.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Fran_Garcia
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

As long as your RHCSA certificate is active, it doesn't matter which version you sat it on in order to get the RHCE.  So yes, you can get an RHCSA using RHEL8, and certify as RHCE testing on RHEL9.

0 Kudos

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough.

I ask my cram school yesterday and told me that I can't have RHCSA in 8 and RH294 in 9 for RHCE and this is Red hat policy, so...... which one is right.......

0 Kudos
Tracy_Baker
Starfighter Starfighter
Starfighter

They're wrong.

You can earn an RHCSA 8 and then later earn your RHCE in 9.

It doesn't much matter anyway. The RHCSA tests you in RHEL topics and the RHCE tests you in Ansible.

Program Lead at Arizona's first Red Hat Academy, est. 2005
Estrella Mountain Community College
andynieto
Cadet
Cadet

I'm not very clear on the main differences between the RHCSA8 and RHCSA9, as the objectives seems to be the same. If I used study material for RHEL 8, is it  sufficiencte to pass the RHCSA 9 ? Any advice please.  

0 Kudos
Armann
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Well some things are different. For instance resetting the root password. The "rd.break" option doesn't work anymore. Here is how you reset the root password in RHEL 9.

1. Find the line that loads the Linux kernel and add "init=/bin/bash" to the end of the line.
2. mount -o remount,rw /
This is necessary because it's mounted as read-only.
3. passwd
4. touch /.autorelabel
5. exec /usr/lib/systemd/systemd/
To reboot the machine.

andynieto
Cadet
Cadet

Hi Armann, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I belive I saw an articled describing the process you mentioned, but in the RHEL 9 documentation, they are still using the "rd.break" option, which I have practiced in my RHEL 9  lab multiple times successfully.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/configuring_basic_syst... 

The VDO topic is the only part of the RHCSA 8 material that I have not been able to  apply in my RHEL 9 environment as it was explained in RHCSA8. It appears that it's now an "lvcreate" options. 

I wonders if there is something else that is drastically different with the RHCSA 9 ? A lot of study material I've seen online for 9 is like a add-on to the 8 version. I wonder if the folks who already took the RHCSA9 test used 8 or 9 material.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Armann
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

In RHEL 9 you have to know the root password to continue with rd.break. 

"Give root password for maintenance".

That's not going to work on the exam when you don't know the root password.

That's why init=/bin/bash is necessary. 

0 Kudos

You can also select the rescue image from the GRUB2 menu before pressing `e` to edit it. From there, just do rd.break and everything it the same as it was in RHEL 8. I've tested it thoroughly prepping for the exam.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2057365

On a side note, this is all fixed in RHEL 9.1 and has the same behavior as RHEL 8. It's just a "feature" of how Anaconda was implemented in RHEL 9.0.
Armann
Flight Engineer
Flight Engineer

Ahh thanks, didn't know that. 

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.