yslee
Cadet
Cadet

Seeking Solutions: Exam Environment Fails to Load on Diverse Hardware

I am using a company-provided M1 MacBook Pro, a personal M3 MacBook Air, and a desktop with the following specifications: "ASUS PRIME B660M-K D4, Intel Core i5-13th Gen 13400F, GALAX GeForce RTX 4060 Ti OC D6 8GB." However, the exam environment does not function correctly on any of these systems.

On the desktop, in particular, I have been encountering "out of memory" errors, and the exam environment fails to boot for reasons unknown. Do you have any good solutions for this issue?

Is there truly no way to run the exam environment on a MacBook, or are there any alternative methods or workarounds available?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PetrCihlar

Hi Yslee,

lets have a closer look. The pdf e-book page 3, requirements say the computer used for the exam must be on x32_86 architecture. This is NOT Apple Silicon's ARM. So this one is clear. If Apple, than it has to be on Intel. Apple stopped puting Intel CPUs in their product line in 2020/21. So anything newer is unusable, unfortunately.Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 8.33.02 AM.png

Regarding the desktop on i5-13th Gen 13400F. If you look at the specs page, this CPU was introduced in the first quarter of 2023, while the Fedora 37 the remote exam system is based on was introduced in November 2022. So it is natural it is not yet supported. Besides, you use a discrete video card. Many such cards have poor support in Linux distros in general, some work great but need additional drivers that are not always included in standard installation.
Make sure to boot in UEFI mode, perhaps remove the GPU card and run on internal/integrated video, it might help. So you see, the issues you are experiencing with your computers are expected. I suggest you use an older ordinary (not the latest or gaming) computer, you will most likely have no issues. Any 8GB RAM older laptop with integrated Intel graphics shoudl do the job well. No computing power is needed.
Kind regards

Petr Cihlar
yslee
Cadet
Cadet

Well understood, 

Thank you for your detailed information.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Join the discussion
You must log in to join this conversation.